1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$500 Score

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Dstosh, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

The independent tool guy(Sells SK,KD,Gearwrench, OTC...) that comes to my shop, makes a stop at another shop that was getting all new lifts.

Picked it up for $500. Rotary 7,000 pound capacity. Should make a few things easier.

EDIT: Does anyone have any guidence on what is the best gauge wiring to wire this up with? 10, 12, 14?

2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Nice Find!!!!
  3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Very nice find!

It wont lift up a superduty or other heavy pickup will it? I know mine weighs in at 7600# empty
  4. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I can help you with the wire gauge if you can get em the model number so I can get current and voltage specs. I would be almost certain that 12 and 14 would not suffice.
  5. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

will not Doug a 9k lift doesn't like trucks .thats a asymmetric lift nice for cars some suvs symmetric are much nicer for trucks ans vans any lift is better then none in my book even if do some side work its helps out alot you can prob get turf adapters from it so can services mower and other turf vehicles
  6. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

thats a nice find for 500 bucks.
    i wouldnt try to pick up any big fords or anything with it. my rotary 10,000 lb didnt like my truck too much although it did pick it up
    as far as the cords go we used cord for a washer/dryer with that style plug
    its heavy gauge i just cant remember off the top of my head
  7. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Cha Ching! SCORE............
  8. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

10/3 solid will be just fine that is how ours are wired, Large trucks (hd,sd) will lift, but NOT a very good idea! to lift a couple inches of floor IE> changing tire etc... it will do in a pinch!:drinkup::drinkup:

PS. you will want to have at least 6" of concrete below it or it WILL crack within 2 years!!!! if additional concrete is not an option, 4' x 4' 1/2" plate under each leg will work, but leaves bolts to trip on!. buy the way NICE FIND!!!!
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  9. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Really....a 10k lift didn't like you're truck....I will have to take that into consideration when I build a garage.
  10. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

well my garage is tight so we couldnt get the lift arms out far enough plus we didnt take the running boards off. it lifted fine but it was wobbling
    more our fault for not positioning the arms right
    as far as going up it was just a little slower than normal but went up fine
    its hard to communicate all that in typing lol
    so basically my lift is fine if you put the arms in the right place. a 7k lift i dont know about using for trucks but for cars/small equipment its a great and for 500 bucks you cant beat it
  11. mike psd

from pa

prob not the fact that it won't lifted the 8800 listed for superdutys but trucks and vans in general really should be on symmetric lifts to properly balance the weight of the truck on them. i bet that might lift good enough for tire change like tom said but won't caught me under then pulling a trans or something like that . 12k to 15k symmetric lifts is good for most trucks.
  12. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

DING,ding,ding we have a winner!!! even a 1/2 ton is a wobbly goblin on my lifts, I'll usually chain the rear tube to the arms just so it doesn't wobble. arm placement is critical on ALL pickups (unless you like them dropping on your head!):drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:
  13. jml416

jml416 Junior Member

nice for $500
  14. mike psd

from pa

even seen a truck fall off a lift kinda cool as long as it not yours :cry:
  15. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

16. kron35s

kron35s Junior Member
    from va

Thats a good lift, I have one just like it. It makes things a lot easier at the house. I lifted my 2002 f-250 sc long bed w/ a v10 just fine. It was a little shakey....but that just makes u work fast.lol.
  17. GFX

GFX Member

Please explain why you think this?

To the OP:
    If this picture was taken at your shop I would be very careful about the ceiling height in that garage. It appears to be pretty low for lifting a vehicle to full height.

10 gauge wire should be fine.
  18. GFX

GFX Member

Many times.

Ever seen a school bus fall off a lift with the back on the floor and the front 6 ft in the air with one column ripped out of the concrete? I have and I also had to get the bus down safely.
  19. stillen

stillen Senior Member

i lift the front and back of my truck with a rotary independently. I always have two wheels on the ground... Works fine, I use the one in my works bays where it is designed for cars only. Shop guys say its the safest way....

very nice find.......... give me the motor specs/ model number, ........ill find out whats needed from our lift guys
  20. GFX

GFX Member

Your lift guys are fu^%ing idiots if they allow you to use just two arms to pick up a car. That's just plain stupid.

The bus I was talking about had fallen backward off the lift because the column fell and ripped out the concrete, probably because they loaded it too far backwards and the concrete was old and too thin.

BTW 4" of concrete is fine for that hoist.

I'm guessing it is a model SPO-7? Make sure the cables are in good shape, the sheaves are good and move freely, and that the safety's are working on both sides. The hoses are also known to rub through on that floor tray style.