1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

500' push

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by vintage steel, Dec 12, 2013.

1. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I'm trying to figure out how long it might take, and how much to charge for a storage unit complex.
    There are two 500 foot runs that will need all the snow piled on one end(North end)
    One lane is 25' wide, the other is 35' wide.
    There is a third lane but it can be burmed to one side.

I'll be using an 8' straight plow, I don't have wings.
    I've never tried a push this long, I would appreciate any and all advice.
    I told the owner I would give him an estimate by end of business day tomorrow.

if you want to take a look, on Google maps, etc. the address is:
    2425 W Seltice way, post falls, ID 83854
    ...or just click on this link: http://bit.ly/19FE2ok then click on "Maps"

Thanks, Russ

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

You need wings, pusher something, trust me, it will be soooo much easier & quicker with wings, box ends, something other then just a straight blade. The windrowing part not a issue.

3. BC Handyman

oh my.... just saw it, ya 1 truck with a straight blade is not ideal. I'd suggest buying wings. you got a bobcat, backhoe, tractor, anything other then a truck? if so use that. IDK a good 2 hrs with a 8'straight blade I'd think.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't even consider that job with a pickup.

5. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I plan on getting a good set of wings soon. It just ain't in the budget right now.
    I only have 2 other clients, an industrial building and six 4-plex driveways.
    They are in the same neighborhood, about 1 mile apart and take 2-2.5 hours total. and This would be a good addition for me. 2 or 3 hours would be okay.
    How much do ya think it's worth?

No, I don't have access to a front end loader.

Again, I've never bid anything of this size but, If the money is right, I want it.
    -R-
    http://snoproblem.net

6. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

180 a push. That job cries out for a 9.5 v plow with wings, or a blizzard 8611 expanding unit.

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You need a skid with a box plow, like a kage

8. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I agree, I just need to push a lot of snow around before I can afford a big, fancy, new plow. I got what I got.
    Do you think I can get the job done?

9. Buswell Forest

from NH

A 9.5 fisher xv2 with the fisher wings on a 3/4 ton or ton pickup could knock that out in 90 minutes, maybe even less.
    Trick would be finding the most efficient way to go about it. Scoop down the midddle of one, return via the outside and windrow that, then scoop down again, repeat.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not a chance. Sorry. If you don't have the equipment, you can't do the job.

11. Buswell Forest

from NH

It will be a long plow, but sure, it can be done. I would get tight with someone who owns a welder. I would fab up some box ends that pin on, or even vice grip in place. Function over form. A set that extended out 18" to form a box would cut the plow time by more than half.

12. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Buyers pro wings. Best 200 bucks you will ever spend in your life.

13. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I guess the general consensus is, I need some wings or ends on my plow.
    I knew that but I was really hoping to make some money before I spent any more. I'll talk to the banker (wife) and see If I can swing some new plow wings.

I think I could make money at $180 per push 1" to 3" like $230 for 4" to 6"
    7"+ ...IDK ? That scares me a little.

14. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

http://www.findlotsize.com/?place=2425+W+Seltice+way,+post+falls,+ID+83854&submit=Go&r=e
    For size

Good gravy, that with a straight blade. But you can do it. That is allot of building not to hit. Size wise I could do that with 2" in an hour but I would have to add .5 hour because it will be slow so you do not hit anything. Now that is with my V plow. So with what you have say 3 hours to be safe. So I do not know what your going rate is there, but you will have to figure that you will have more time in to it than you should charge for. The other thing I see is that you will run out of room on the end to put snow and it may need to be moved at some time.
    My price for up to 3 inches $224. I would call this a PITA one, but for that I would do it.

15. BC Handyman

Ya 7'+ is scary with just a truck on that site, really the wings will be well worth the $ if you get the job, 7"-10" I'd be at $300 based on your $180, $230 over 10.... well you'd be screwed by then, lol make sure you plow before 10"Thumbs Up

16. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

Do you have to plow the entire right side and how many events per year?

17. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

18. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I can pile anywhere in that lot to the East but it does not need to be plowed.
    Events per year is tricky around here. It's pretty sporadic. I guess I'm saying, I don't know.

19. BC Handyman

lol hope you got your flameproof suit on, lol look up your area's historic snow averages on the wheather sites, count the events year by year if you have to, find out the 10 year snow average, again go through and count if you have to. It's important info, average # of events, and amount of snow per year average, learn it for area's you service!!!!

20. BC Handyman

I like your truthfullness, you not too far from me. My neck of the woods kinda ;) But do yourself a favor if your going to do this place & get some wings at the min, also make friends with someone that has a bobcat , loader or something....in case you get the "big one".