1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

500 Miles after Purchase...Tranny Concern

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by olesnowpatrol, Nov 28, 2011.

1. olesnowpatrol

olesnowpatrol Member

We'll I've put 500 miles or so on my rig since I bought it at the end of August. Tranny fluid was red and fresh when I made the purchase. Over the weekend, it seemed like the transmission didn't want to drop in to gear/engage. I didn't rev it up or anything...just took a minute and tried again...then it dropped in ok. Fluid level still ok and still looks red...no burnt smell.

I know I have a beater with a heater so I don't want to put a ton of money into this thing.
    Can anyone recommend some less expensive tips to try before looking at a rebuild?

2. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

did you check the level in neutral, read the tranny dipstick. You might be low on fluid is all, from not reading it properly. Or there is an internal issue, I always start with fluid levels.

3. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

You can drop the pan put a new filter on it. It's cheep. All so check the servos when the pan is off. I would put lucas transmission conditioner in that stuff Is the bomb.

I do love my Z just not now

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

try some seafoam the tranny stuff its suppose to clean the varnish and what not then you add some to new tranny oil suppose good preventive maintance