1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

50 lbs bagged rock salt for 4.25 can any one get it cheaper than that in chicagoland?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by RMC LANDSCAPING, Jan 2, 2010.

1. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

looking for a better price on bagged salt in chicago im paying 4.25 a bag now for ice a way yellow 50 lbs bags

2. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Thats like 25 cent cheaper(bagged) than what we get from Angelo's Supplies per bag,56per pallet.

Why dont you just go bulk?? Its alot cheaper! :nod:

ok Im the Math guy so here i go:
    This is just a scenario:
    Salt lets base it by the ton
    40 50lb bags=1 ton/2000lbs with your rate you pay $170
    Bulk I pay=$80 Picked up

3. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

we get bags off a semi 18 pallets at a time, and they are 2.70 plus delivery. delivery is close to 85 c / bag so about 3.50 delivered

4. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

i do manly always buy bulk but i like to keep a few pallets on hand. yes i know semi truck loads of pallets is cheeper but dont need that much salt

5. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

I buy 20 50lb bags of mega melt salt at a time and pay $4.75 per bag at Schroeders on 108th and SW Hwy. Where do you buy salt for $4.25 per bag? Schroeders also sells bagged bulk salt from their bulk salt pile that they bag themselves for $3.99 per bag, but it is wet and won't run thru my tailgate spreader.

6. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

i buy salt at RUSSO power equipment near o'hare airport i can get a better deal if i buy a semi load but dont have the room for it so its 4.25 per bag

7. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

If you really have that price (and the material actually shows up), you should be selling it for $3.90 delivered and making an absolute killing. You guys must be moving over 500 loads and signing in June to get that price...

Impressive.

8. Westhardt Corp.

Are you picking up, and if so how many pallets at a time?

9. NW Snow Removal

signed early yes. I only have room to store 24 pallets indoors and haven't considered reselling bags as a form of income. I would sell pallets, but it'd become a hassle and I'd rather give my guys the downtime between storms to rest and relax rather than load someone with salt for a couple bucks. So far we've spread 55 pallets of a treated material . I don't use rock salt straight on sidewalks. lots only.

10. Westhardt Corp.

Interesting, I would assume it's for lots, although with that volume I'm surprised you use the bagged product for that at all. What do you guys use for your chemical product?

11. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

when i go there i buy 1 pallet at a time when i use it up i go and buy another and i pick it up

12. Thesandman23

Thesandman23 Inactive
    from Kansas

Price

We deliver out of Kansas City and should be in the price range. I will work on that Monday.

13. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

I buy pallets from Russo too, I think it's $4.22/bag for single pallets. I'm up for a better price but this is the best I found in the area. I'd buy more but I can only carry one pallet at a time in my truck and it's a two hour round trip with unloading.

14. NW Snow Removal

We use bagged rock for a couple of our tiny lot routes in the city that we plow with navigators and have to spread by walk behind. For the treated we use beneath Zero from envirotech central salt. its their version of magic salt. prewetted rock salt. works to -10 and corrodes less than calcium chloride and is 1/2 the price.

15. Westhardt Corp.

I've heard pretty good stuff about Zero, and I see it coming out of the terminals pretty frequently. Good to know it's working for you!

Plowing with Navigators....brings new meaning to "BOSS plow".

:D