1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

50 lb bag of salt price

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by motorider000, Feb 20, 2005.

1. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

Hello,
    I am trying to get a price sheet around for next year. I was wondering what a fair price for a 50lb bag of salt (costs me $170 a skid) including spreading would be. I am located in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Please give me you opinions.

2. QCPride

QCPride Junior Member

Not sure if this will help or not-maybe you could do a ratio. I get $128/skid(49bags) from Farm N Fleet(I know-but they have the best for rock salt around here) anyway we charge $14.00 a bag applied so we are making about $11.00 a bag. But as we have seen in prior posts--we make a lot less here in the QC than everywhere else. Hope this helps! :)

3. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Around Indy, depending what you are spreading, pricing ranges from $10-$30 per 50# bag.

If you want to give Magic a try, e-mail me.

4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

We get $18.00 per 50Lbs of rid ice.

5. motorider000

Actually I was planing on using regular Lesco rock salt. But I am open to about anything.

6. VALLEYWIDEPA

VALLEYWIDEPA Member
    from pa

do you guys buy a pallet at a time or multiple pallets to get that price. i pay $5.04 a bag for halite rock salt and charge $10 a bag to spread

7. mickman

mickman Senior Member

I checked out lesco the other day and their prices are too high.
    they wanted about $5/50# & $11-12/50# potash.
    I'll drive another mile for 80# halite:$5/50# & $7/50# potash
    {saved $200 bones from just 3k #'s}

8. QCPride

QCPride Junior Member

Lesco is too hight. Check out places like Lowe's Farm n Fleet, even Walmart--sometimes they will work with you. Also check out janitorial cleaning places, or cleaning supply distributors. We have gotten salt in the past from these types of businesses.

9. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Your right, Lesco is way high. I buy my pallets from The Andersons Store. $145 per pallet. Even Home Depot will give you a pallet price if you talk to the store mgr. I buy some single bags from Home Depot, it's 3.99 per bag, that's high, however it's 3 miles away vs a 42 mile round trip to Andersons (time/gas), I just nudge the price up to cover it. My contracts give me that option. I think Lesco's price is around $175 per pallet. I've got a Lesco about 7 or 8 miles away. I would only go there if timing was an issue. Around here it's $20-$25 per bag spread.

10. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

It is amazing how areas are so different. At Home Depot here the price is $4.95 for 5o lb bag, $4.25 for a bag by the pallet. Now at my Lescos, I get 80lb bags for 5.55/ or 4.85 a bag by the pallet. I just paid $3.60 a 50lb bag by the pallet at Lesco.

11. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

We pay $2.75/50lb bag for salt here. We charge $27.50 to spread it. If our price goes up so does our spreading charge. 10 times our cost across the board.

12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Portage,Mich Home Depot just had 50# bags on sale here. $1.98/50lb bag. 50% off normal price of 3.98 per bag. Bought 62 bags and hope it will last me the season now at that price.

13. motorider000

I was thinking about $15 a bag. However I am new and need to appeal to customers somehow. Also I don't want to lowball myself. Maybe if I give the customers a quantity discount with like a purchase of 10 bags or more for the additions. That way I would have less transport fuel and time so I would be able to afford the discount. I am just wondering if I am in check with charging $15 a bag.

14. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'll have to check Home Depot, they told me on Wed that they would probably be putting it on sale shortly. I bought some Sat and it was not on sale yet. Was it the DWI?

15. FIREDUDE26

FIREDUDE26 Member

Lesco

MY rep yesterday told me that they are having a sale on the salt and lesco melt, i didnt get a price on salt because i just bought a palllet of 80's . The lesco melt II was 7.95 a bag. that was almost 2.40 a bag cheaper than before. he was like 3.25 a 50 lb bag of rock salt , so it might be better now.

16. doug96

doug96 Member

homedepot web-site

wwhat sub catorgie is salt and stuff in, i could not find it on the web site, keept getting water softner salt

17. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

doug Home depot doesn't have their salt listed on the website. you have to call or stop by for pricing.

18. Triton Snow Systems

Triton Snow Systems Banned

15.00 a bag spread in my book !

19. doug96

doug96 Member

home depot

thank you dave :salute:

20. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Our everyday prices at Home Depot and Lowes are about the same as they are at our supplier. $2.95 per bag...$118. per pallet. We get $12 per 50# bag and $15 per 80# bag. Any more than that, and we just can't compete. The bulk spreaders can do it SO much cheaper. It costs about half as much for material in bulk, here.