1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5 yr old 8ft pro plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by green frog, Oct 27, 2008.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I just got this on a 1995 F250 I bought, it came with the truck. My question is can you buy a new blade? This one was painted but looks like they used rust stop and then painted it red. It is not even close to smooth and not sure I could sand or grind it smooth again. Have a bad feeling its going to hold a ton of snow. Pump and hydrolics look and work great, all hardware, springs and shock look good to. Any ideas or how much?
  2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

you can get them, but it will probably be cheaper to get one off ebay or from the used equipment forum on here..

Or if you have a metal fab shop near you, you can have them make you a new skin and weld it on yourself if your handy and have access to a welder.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sech already has it covered but yes the moldboards are still available new...at about $1500. So from a cost perspective your other options would be to either reskin your existing one or find a good used one for far less than new. Or take the ultimate cheap route and buy one of the poly pllow skins for about $50 that the aftermarket plow parts manufactures produce to cover the front side of the blade to get a few more years out of it.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If it's just surface rust and has no holes all the way though wire brush it down to bare metal, then paint with PRO-15 (very toxic, respirator even if outside) then use evercoat (someone said they use fiberglass) to fill in the pits. Then prime and paint, if that's not smooth enough add the poly skin B&B suggested.

Or just use the poly and save some labor.
  5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Look into sandblasting and re powder coating. I just dropped a blade off for blasting and coating for $250.
  6. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

yeah the sandblasting and powder coat is probably the best solution.