1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5 Speed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stik208, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

My Ranger is a 5 speed and just wondering if I want to use 4lo or 4hi and stay in first gear. Im doing driveways one is kinda long and uphill then flat.
    Jason

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I would try second gear in low range I believe and see how that works out. If it gets tuff you can aways drop down to first. Unlike a HD truck tranny, you have no real "granny" first gear in that truck

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  3. smiti105

smiti105 Member

Do a search on driving in HI,LO gears on here. You will get alot of results.

4. Stik208

Its a small truck and I dont want to strain out my transmission/clutch thats why Im asking so I dont make a mistake.
    Jason

5. Tarkus

Personally I would stick with low range and use first or second as needed and make sure transfer case fluid is fresh and full too.

6. Drifter

Drifter Junior Member

The only problem with low range is that backing up is awfully slow.

7. Stik208

Thats what I figured was use 4 lo, I used it climb a wet grass hill with a 10 drawer dresser in the back of the truck and it had so much b*lls going up it was nothing. With all of that torque I dont think I will have a problem uphill or downhill, this weekend I will get around changing the transfer case fluid.
    Jason

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

stay in 4wd hi i only use low for extreme conditions

9. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I have a manual and mostly use 4hi . I go to 4lo when there is alot of snow or the snow is wet. Just make sure you put some weight in the back.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I used a 5 spd Bronco II for 2 seasons.
    The first time I went out, I burned the clutch out!!!
    An old timer then gave me the clue to plowing with a manual.
    Back away from the snow with the plow lifted, dump the clutch and drop the plow before you hit the snow. Don't ever slip the clutch against snow piles or heavy pushes. When you come to the end of the push, push in the clutch right at the end of forward motion. Use low range when it's real deep, It will help with cooling and charging.

11. Tarkus

Bad advise in a small truck and hard on clutch too.

12. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Smaller trucks should use 4wd lo.