1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5 speed wrangler?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ShorePower, Feb 24, 2010.

1. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

Anyone ever plow with a five speed wrangler. I'm looking at an 88 4.0l 5sp with a 2007 meyer 6ft blade. I'm unsure as to how difficult it is to plow with a manual trans. I have about 25 residential driveways that I currently plow with a crew cab pick up, . The wrangler would be much easier to manuever in my residentials.

2. LEVE

LEVE Member

That transmission is one of the worst that Jeep ever made... Be prepared to rebuild it, or replace it with a better one. Oh, unless the engine was replaced, it should be a 4.2L (258cc) engine.

3. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I plow with an f-350 and it has a 6speed. Its a cake walk:nod:

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I've plowed with a wrangler 5 sp for 23 years ((3 different jeeps) and used 2 auto wranglers. Hate the auto. I plow 60 or so driveways.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Your left leg will get soar. I hate plowing with a stick, but it's all I have for now.

6. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I plow 34 drives with a cherokee sometimes and would not want to shift that much. I bet plow meister's left leg looks the the Incredible HULKS.lol

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Unless you have a strong leg I would advise against it for drives

8. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I had a 90 Bronco II 5sp with a 6'6" western, It was awsome for driveways, A lot easier to rock yourself loose if you get stuck than an automatic

9. dealer374

dealer374 Member
    from Mass

I plowed for a guy on this site in a 5 spd. Wrangler with a full trip blade. My left foot was killin' me cuz of the clutch tension only cuz im a sissy lol. How long is route/ plow times? 20+ hrs might be doozy on you but this guys Jeep handled and plowed great never touched 4-low just 4-hi it is kinda annoying working the clutch but it becomes second nature real quick. Once the clutch is fully engaged your good it plows well at low rpm's. It's the perfect resi rig shorth wheel base I mean you stick your head out the window and your kissing the rear wheel.

10. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

My 07 Wrangler is 6 speed.

Yes, your leg will get tired from clutch in.... clutch out....

Also sometimes becomes a pain trying to maneuver plow/shift gears at the same time, etc...

But, it is what it is... I wanted my jeep to be stick, never really thought i would have a plow on it, but now I do.

The short wheelbase is so so so so nice though for those tight areas. that i do love.

11. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i wontplow with an automatic, i have a 5sp in mine now and it is the best plow rig i have used. also keeps you away on thoes long nights becasue you have to be more content on what your doing or you going through a garage or building and you wouldnt want that!