1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5 gallon bucket sprayer ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DodgeBlizzard, Jan 3, 2014.

1. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Has anybody ever converted a 5 gallon bucket into a portable sidewalk gravity sprayer? Something that will ride around in the back of a truck and not break in five minutes. I'm a hustle up, get out of my way type worker. Most guys will take the salt in a 5 gallon bucket and set it down, throw a few hand fulls of salt, then walk 10 feet and do it again. I will walk at a fast pace with the bucket on my side. But I'm not getting any younger and all these storms are making me feel it. Plus we had some wet salt freeze up in some buckets during this real cold snap lately. Anyways, I want to build a sling type harness to help with the weight. And then a single spout but then have some sort of bar that is the width of a sidewalk so it can be done in one pass. And make it so it can quickly go from bucket to bucket. And then during the off season, I will rig up my truck brine sprayer to be able to fill up the buckets. I originally had a 15 gallon bucket idea and was going to strap it to a dolly, but that won't work quick on steps. So now I'm thinking five gallon bucket set up. Has anybody done anything like it?

2. LopatLT7495

LopatLT7495 Member

Never thought of it or seen anything like it but that seems like a really cool idea. Also great productivity booster as well. Good luck.

3. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

4. DodgeBlizzard

5. Josh D

Josh D Junior Member

I've built one. I had an old Earthway spreader, a round one, and a 5 gal bucket fit inside it just right. The spreader was pretty rusty so I stripped all the spreading components off it, kept the frame, wheels, ect, and set the bucket inside it. Use a hole saw to get the plumbing through, 3/4" bulkhead fitting, a small pvc valve is next, then 3/4" vinyl hose, to a 3/4" pvc bar with holes drilled in the bottom (I forget the size, start small, you can always go bigger). I basically calibrated it to my walking speed by measuring how much it put out over what area as I walked and kept enlarging the holes until it was right, although since its gravity you need to walk faster at first and slower at the end; it has less pressure as the volume goes down. I've got pictures on my work computer, I'll post them later. Jd

6. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

8. DodgeBlizzard

$900 for a sidewalk sprayer? Hope it works good.

9. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

10. derekbroerse

I found one on ebay at a liquidation place (in Texas of all places). Looked like a demonstrator or a store return or something. It's stone-age simple, though, anyone who would buy one for its MSRP of $1299 on ASI's website is a fool, its essentially a hand cart with a big bucket on it, a pump and battery (like Northern Tool's $100 lawn sprayer for atvs). The boom is either abs or pvc pipe with holes drilled in it, and a threaded end with a quick connect for the extention. Oh plus a hose and wand...

This one was complete minus battery. I paid $300 including shipping (around $100 by itself). Unfortunately FedEx broke all the boom pipes so I will have to remake everything, still waiting on the seller regarding insurance...

If you're interested in seeing it in action, there is a youtube video of the smaller 5 gallon unit (this one is 15gal).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIpbYNSTx80

11. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

Only had it this year, and only use it on one property (Retirement complex). But does seem well built and work good. But I think on lawns it would be inefficient.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  12. DodgeBlizzard

[​IMG]

Looks like a few of the holes have debris from the install. But very happy with the quick build.

13. DodgeBlizzard

Got a line on some 15 gallon drums. Might figure out a way to run a piece of pvc up to the top so I can turn it on and off without even bending over. I glued out to the shut off valve, but not beyond. This way I can try different length spray bars.

14. derekbroerse

Looks like the price was right!