1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5 acre site - Looking for advice (with PIC)

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Workaholic, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

Site is a 5 acre site I am bidding. The bid is due Monday.

Til now I havent done anything with this much open space. I do large factories with multiple big lots but this would be my first wide open push.

I am looking for advice on equipment. I know backhoe or loader would be ideal but would a large skidsteer do? I wouldnt have a use for backhoe or loader during summer months but the addition of a skidsteer would be nice.

Also, what do you guys reccomend.. pusher, blade, etc.

If I can get away with a good used setup under 20k I wouldnt have to finance. (15k for machine & 5k for blade/box)

Also, they said they were not going to be picky with salt.. they said a light salting, heavier at entrances and around buildings would be fine. does anyone know approx salt usage on 5 acres?

As far as the bid goes. I am only bidding against 1 other company so prices probably wont be driven down to far. I am only giving them the option of 3 year term as I will be investing in site specific equipment. I am not hurting for contracts but would be a nice one to have. They only want seasonal price.

Looking for any input on any aspect. salt usage, equipment, pusher, etc. share some experience with me!!!

Thanks for the help guys.

trucklot.jpg

trucklot.jpg

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

nice easy lot. 1 loader w 14-16 pusher and a skid with 8-10 pusher. 3000 lbs salt per application. you need to figure your avg snowfall and events in your area. HIH as i'm on my phone and cant type alot. good luck!

3. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

Thanks

What size loader do you need for 14' pusher?
    Also would 1 1/2 ton salt be a light, average or heavy salting?

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

generally speaking 6-800 per application.....this translates to 20 lbs per 100 sf (good formula to go on) some apps will be more and some less..... my loader is a 740. its a 130 hp, 24000 lbs machine... this machine pushes my 14' arctic section just fine (its heavier then a standard rubber edge pusher) HIH

5. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

we would use a loader 14-16 ft and a BIG dump truck with 10 ft plow to save the money the skid would cost and you're gonna need the dump to salt it anyway. 3000lbsalt would be average. 600lbs/acre should be normal.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  6. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

Thanks again for the help guys,

I have spotted a few older loader-pusher combos that I think would be adequate for this lot. their was a 1975' 544 with 12' protech for 16k . and a few others in that ballbark. I notice alot of guys around here just buy and sell older good running loaders as their contracts come and go. this isnt a highend facility either like an automotive plant. Plus if i had troubles I know enough people with equipment to help me out.

How well do these pushers scrape down to the pavement? What is better steel edge or rubber? We are talking about very old asphalt in rough condition.

We have very mild winters, 8-12 push/salts and another 15 salt only events so I dont want to invest alot. Last year we had 6 pushes! ALL WINTER!

I have duramax 3/4ton with snowex 8500 so I can do 3000lbs in one trip. All my other lots only take 3-4000lbs of salt total so I would just be making 2 trips.

Can you guys shoot push only prices out? I am coming up with $13-1600.. so about $2000 w/salt

7. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

Have a lot pretty similar to this and we use a skidsteer with a 8ft pusher then a big dump with a 12 plow and can handle it pretty easy with that equipment, unless we get a big dump of 8" plus of the wet heavy snow we will send another truck or a loader there to help for a little bit. We also use on ave. 3000lbs of salt

8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I won't comment on price as its a regional thing.. just make sure you take in acocunt all your costs and add your profit margin in. in my area loaders with pushers go for 100-150 ph. if you can get a idea on a per hour rate in your area im sure you can figure it out. I love the arctic sectional but they are pricey. But they pay for themselves in salt savings. I don't know how they'd do on rough pavement but on good pavement they work very well.

9. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

What does a 12-14 sectional go for?$? or do I even want to know?

10. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

In my market you'd get laughed at. @ 5 acres your talking 5 truck hrs or there about + 1.5 ton of salt. Ball park here between $ 400-800/per push with salt.

11. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

In my market I get $800 to push a 2 acre church, NO SALT.. But of course we dont get the opportunity very often.
    Thats basing it off of 8500.00 contract price (no salt)
    2008 8 pushes, 2009 12 pushes, 2010 6 pushes

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  12. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

would a bobcat 873 (76hp) w/8' pusher be adequet with help of pickup trucks?

We never get more than 5" and if we did the skidsteer would start to clear at 2" anyway so it wouldn need to push much.

If im going to spend money on equip I just want something I'll use in the summer.

Plus I can float a bobcat to my other lots if i needed to move snow around or push smaller lots.

13. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

A bobcat would work fine, I would never purchase a loader for this single site. If you don't have other work for it there is no need for it on this site.

Put a pickup w/ a v-plow and wings or a expandable plow along with either a second truck or a bobcat and you'll knock that site out in 2-3 hours depending on snow fall.

Looks like there is plenty of room to push the snow and it is all open long pushes.

Have fun!

14. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

a friend of mine had just bought 2 sectionals that i believe are either 12 or 14 ft. and they ran him 7200 a peice

15. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

thats why i wont comment on price as its a regional thing. what u can get at one place u cant get at another. motos right somewhere in the 7k range. i disagree with just buying a loader for snow only for this site. i only use my loader for snow and it clears a lot of snow in little time. buying one is cheaper then renting one. if you get a 3 year deal i think it would be worth it (imo).if u never get more then 5" at any one time and would use the bobcat to push with the event you should be ok with the help of a truck. i understand where your coming from in terms of buying a skid. their handy little machines to have and i occcationaly do use mine in the summer.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Ontario is a pretty big area to service. Do you have a plane?

17. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

2 actually, with 13.5' aerial V blades.

18. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

$8-10k contract price around here. A loader and a skid would be best, you could do it with trucks if they are 9' with wings, but pusher boxes will be better.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Nice I'm sure they work very well. Everyone is saying a skid and loader but the problem is no one is going to pay for that on a 5 acre site of this sort. Unless you have lots of work nearby for them to do after. A loader ot tractor would be my first choice and a skid will do the job if need be. No need for both with the amount of snow on avg we get here.

20. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Also, you need to understand the time contraints for the plowing. If the company needs to be running 24/7 or if they shutdown everytime it snows. Might be ok with just one skid loader if you have time on your side. The truck with salt and a plow can pop in every once in a while and help out. It will just take a lot longer to clear.