1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5 acre lot with sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dan6399, Oct 10, 2011.

1. dan6399

dan6399 Member

As the title says Im plowing a 5 or so acre lot with about 750' of sidewalks. Im looking to get your guys ideas or opinions on how to do it. This is my plan let me know if theres anything you think I should change. Its my first large commercial account so Im just looking for ideas.

Sidewalks: Have a lawn tractor or atv with plow. Will need 2 guys one to use the tractor other for cleanup/touchup

Have a Skid steer on site with 8-10' pusher and operator for lengh of storm.

Ill have my one ton with 9' plow there for most of the storm and will go back and forth between lots.

Ill be buying a sander but am having trouble finding a place to buy magic salt. Dont have a place to buy in bulk so Im looking for a place or contractor to load up at before the storm.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Since the account will let you keep the skid onsite can you get a sea container to leave on site also? you could buy bulk salt and have the dealer spray it down with magic 0

3. dan6399

dan6399 Member

Seems like it would be a pain to load the container? Have you done this?

Thanks for the reply?

4. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

Alot of guys on here have and it works out you should build a ramp so its easier going in and out do you have the lot or just bidding on it?

5. dan6399

dan6399 Member

I have the lot. Thanks

6. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

I think 5 acres with a skid steer and a part time 1 ton is spreading your self very thin, you get a good bit of large storms there and if ANYTHING goes wrong, you won't keep up. keep in mind that a skid can't move that much snow when its heavy and wet, they are great but have their limitations, I would put a Back hoe or loader on the property. - Now this advise is giving without seeing the site and could therefore be wrong...

7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

yes many times...works out just fine...takes alittle over an hour to load 30 ton

8. dan6399

dan6399 Member

That's an interesting idea Ill have to look into that. Do you know about how much to rent a container? Thanks again.

9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I couldn't rent once they found out I was going to store salt in them but there are companies out there that will.... if I remember right I think its like $80 month but I could be wrong

10. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

can you keep a container on site year round? if not do you have a yard to put it? this is what i did 2 years ago when i went to bulk i went to a lot by my house and said i'll plow the lot for free for storage year round and i built a storge bin out of plywood your going to be asking why plywood 1.i didnt have the cash to buy blocks and build one 2 if the guys ever wants out of the deal i would have no where to put them all i have to do is take down my plywood and im gone just somthing to think about

11. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

How about a 32" or bigger snow blower for the walks?
    I have the same deal 5 acres comprised of 3 side by side lots

Using 1 skid with 10' box
    1 Dually pick up with 8.5 SSXV plow and 2 yard spreader
    1 pickup 8.5 straight blade with snowblower, sidewalk salt and push spreader
    44 tons of rock salt dumped on the pavement and covered with a tarp
    4 guys including myself

The issue is how do you transport the 4 wheeler, unless I missed your explanation