1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5 acre beverage company

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vintage steel, Jun 19, 2014.

1. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure a bid for the Hayden Beverage Company, I could use a little help.
    http://www.findlotsize.com?e=47.704697,-117.032618:0:6335%20w%20integrity%20way%20post%20falls,%20id:measure:0
    Area:
    19858 meters²
    0.020 km²
    213753 feet²
    23750 yards²
    4.907 acres

How long would you estimate this would take to clear 4" with am 8' straight blade?

I would guestimate 4-5 hours?
    Does this sound right?

the largest lot I plow is 1/2 acre and takes me about 45 min (up to 4 inches) although it is a bit technical.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Acre per hour up to 2 inches depending on equipment, experience, & snow consistency roughly.

3. Turf Z

Turf Z Senior Member

dont do this with a 8' straight

4. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

Yeah, I'm thinking this might be a bit bigger than I am ready to tackle.
    I was considering just dedicating one truck to the property.

I want a Unimog with a badass V plow Thumbs Up

5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Yeah, 5 acres requires some muscle. Think Fiat Allis, or Caterpillar. 5 acres needs a large front end loader with a 16' to 20' pusher IMO.
    What about salt / sand? An F550 4x4 with an 8611 Blizzard plow and a 4 yard sander would be about 50x better than a unimog. Probably cheaper, too.

A big loader, and an F550, final answer.

6. Buswell Forest

from NH

Oh, and I would want $600 a push, minimum. That is $120 per acre, a fair deal imo. I figure $25 per acre in fuel for the loader and truck, and $20 per acre for payroll...that leaves $375 in profit margin for 3 hours work...so $125 profit per hour for both units...like I said, fair.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

We have one slightly smaller. Takes about 5 hours but it's not as open.

One truck with an 8 ft blade does it

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think I would even try that with an 8' straight blade and not with a pickup at all. The one storm you can't keep up with you might be in serious trouble.

A larger machine would do it so much faster you wouldn't be competitive.

9. Buswell Forest

from NH

Not many clients are willing to have the job take that long I would think?
    5 hours is a long time.

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Like I said truck is there on site whole storm. Well that site and the one beside it.

We've had it for almost 8 years now

11. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I would more then double that for my area that's what's some subs charge
    What about over head do you need me to list your over head expenses out
    At that price you are paying them to plow

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

OP, be very, very careful of accepting some of the advice.

Are you insane? A loader with a 16-20' pusher for ONE account of 5 acres?

And strange you only mention 2 of the many different loader manufacturers out there. Are Fat Alice and Cats the only ones available in NH?

What about salt\sand? The OP is asking about plowing, not salt\sand. Answer his question then move on to other issues. Preferably after not suggesting ridiculous amounts of equipment for a small to medium size lot.

A couple years back I did a 10-11 acre lot in 2 hours with an F350, 8611 LP front and 16' Ebling with 2" of snow. And you want to tell this guy he needs to go out and spend over $100K to plow a 5 acre lot?

Not to mention having a short memory or non-existent one previous to loaders. Trucks were the norm for plowing all lots, not that long ago. Is it the most efficient? Not necessarily. Can it be done? Absolutely.

Who cares what you want? You're in New Hampshire, the OP is in Idaho.

I really thought we had buried this dead horse a long, long, long, long time ago. Pricing is too regional for anyone to suggest pricing for someone 2000 miles away. What I get per hour is 2-3x as much as they get in Holland, 30 miles west of me. Erie, PA is pennies on the dollar compared to New Jersey.

Just give him the amount of time you think it is going to take. And what equipment might do the job best without blowing it out of proportion.

OP, can a truck with an 8' blade do it? Absolutely.

Is it the best? No

Industry average is 1 hour\acre with an 8' plow. On an easy lot with few obstructions, that is too long. If you have to carry or it is broken up, it might be too short. That is why it is an average.

I would only say 4-5 hours if you have a set of wings, otherwise it's going to be longer.

13. Mark Oomkes

Go ahead, list the OP's overhead costs, labor, fuel, cost of living, etc, etc, etc. Because we all know they are the same as they are in New York, so his prices should be exactly the same as yours.

14. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Mark - there's no way he can plow that with a pickup, he needs a 924h loader, brand new at that!!! You can plow 10 acres with a pickup??? So why on this other thread last week can 3 small loaders not plow 30 acres? Or 4 skid steers..................................

15. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Mark didn't say they couldn't. Some one else did. I agree with pricing. I think it has a lot to do with how much snow you get.

And y'all complain about lowballers all the time but have no issues putting 100k machines on a site that gets $300 a push or whatever?

16. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I was the one trying to help those guys realize it, 4 skids at $700 a month rental would do it, heck you couldn't even get 1 924 for that much a month... Its all about money in the bank at the end of the day... I completely agree a mid size skid steer with a 10' boss pusher will have that done in 3 hours and on to the next, add a pickup with a 2 yard salter and away you go, no need for a 550 with a huge salter and a huge loader for Mickie mouse 5 acres

17. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I did not mean his actual cost I meant things he was not taking in account like insurance business and truck, his shop bills , accountant , any thing that he pays that he needs to run his business
    Point is that is too low I don't care where you are
    You can do houses and make more money with much less responsibility or if he is happy making that maybe just sub for some one

18. Mark Oomkes

Your first problem is bringing up the 924H. There are not John Deere loaders in New Hampshire or Idaho, only Fat Alice and Cat.

Secondly, you did not ask about salt\sand.

Third, you missed telling someone 2,000 miles away and from a different country what they should be charging.

19. Mark Oomkes

How do you know he is not taking into account the cost of his insurance, truck, shop bills, accountant, anything else?

$600 for 5 acres is too low?

You don't know his costs.

You don't know pricing in the region. You don't even know how much snow he gets.

Do you really think that the cost of his insurance is the same as Rockland County, NY?

Same for a truck, shop, accountant, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Rockland County has a population density of 1809 people per square mile. Idaho has a population density of 19 people per square mile.

A little further research shows me that the cost of living in Idaho is 98, with 100 being the national average. Rockland County is 142.

Do you want me to keep going? Because I can if you really want, but for you tell someone what they should price a job at when he is 2,000 miles away and you are in one of the most densely populated areas in the country and he is in the the 7th LEAST densely populated state in the country? Because really, your ignorance is showing.

20. Buswell Forest

from NH

Hey know it all. shove it. Stop trying to read stuff into my words, stop running your mouth just to hear yourself. You don't impress me. 5 acres is mickey mouse? Hoooooray for you big shot.
    He asked for an opinion, and I gave mine. Don't like it? TFB.

edit: name removed to play nice...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014