1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.9l leaking yellow fluid

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cmo18, Feb 9, 2010.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Truck is running great, plowed 8 hrs this morning no problems except at my last location I noticed a yellow dots appearing on the ground...whats leaking?

I checked under the hood, the rad coolant in the reservoir is low but that's red. Power steering?

2. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

cant be power steering thats red also

3. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

do you have a meyer

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Check the drain valve on your fuel filter canister. Diesel fuel looks yellow-ish green in the snow.

5. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

which side is the fuel filter on? if its on the right side it would make more sense because it seems to be leaving an oil stain on the passenger side mid truck

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

yes i do have a meyer

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Could be an axle seal.

8. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

interesting...i was looking at those earlier...any telltale signs?

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

They leak....:laughing:

Mine actually emits a smell up through the cab like wd40 burning (I hate to use that analogy but I don't know what FF burning smells like.)

10. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I did smell something funny this morning...however i cant physically see that its leaking from the seals...im interested in searchign the fuel filter cannister

thanks

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  11. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

factory meyer hydro oil looks yellow green in the snow 2

12. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Smell it, if it smells like diesel theres your answer.....

13. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Ive replaced my oil with a red stuff...

Doesn't seem to smell, light yellow, where is the fuel filter cannister on this truck? 2006 ram 2500

14. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Driver side, just behind the intake horn.

15. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

probably the plow.

16. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Give everything a good spray down and see if you can locate the dripping. Maybe park everything in some fresh snow overnight? Thats what I've done to find leaks before. Seems dumb and simple but it works.

17. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

what really got me, my coolant reservoir was bone dry but that is red. Fuel leak or axle seal is my guess...

im going to park it over night on fresh snow see what happens... the turbo have a separate oil tank?

18. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I changed my seals in my lift cylinder therefor the fluid was swapped out to some red stuff. I assumed the red stuff will work its way to the angle cylinder mean there is no more yellow fluid to leak out...

19. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

the diff fluid is greenish/ blueish on these, its syntheticc fluid. chek your coolant clamps theres one in particular that leaks, its on the passenger side below the turbo, you may need to tighten it up or put a good hose clamp on. also on the overflow on the rad you may want to put a clamp on make sure you get the right antifreeze and mix it with distiled water 50/50.

20. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

ya its my coolant from the results on the fresh snow...

question about the turbo, wheres the lube for it?