1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.9 liter ...or 6.7 liter ?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DIRISHMAN, Jun 7, 2012.

1. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Which way to go 5.9 L...6.7 L How much Difference ...... and what are the Benifits of having either of

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

The 6.7 has the exhaust brake. I love it
    It's also quieter. I have a 5.9 in my 99 and 03 and 6.7 in my 07.5. I did dpf delete and added a programmer to it

3. MIDTOWNPC

The only thing I did find is the 6.7 goes alot slower in reverse cause of the 6 speed tranny I assume

4. DIRISHMAN

Sweet ..what about fuel milage between them .how exspencive was the tuner..

5. MIDTOWNPC

Bought a smarty $500 approx.
    I never really monitor my fuel but over head on 6.7 showed 19mpg last I checked. I know the 5.9 is better I don't have any hand calculated numbers.

6. DIRISHMAN

Thanx for all the input much appriciated

7. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...rs/ford-f-150/heavy-duty-workhorses/index.htm

MSN had a link to the full report with video the other day. They said the Ram uses more fuel, lacks HP comp to GM and Ford. Ram I think they said its quieter in the cab vs the GM, Ford does not like to stop too quickly. They said the Ford has the bigger cab.

No Def fluid required in the ram unlike ford and GM but big deal you add it a few times a year depending how much you work it and i suppose how many regens the dpf does.

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Either way you'll end up with a good motor. The 6.7 needs to be tuned and the emissions stuff deleted as soon as possible. The 6.7 probably has the better automatic behind it from the factory but with aftermarket support both can be made nearly bulletproof.

9. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

DEF added regularly, not a few times a year. 5.9 gets 3-4 more mpg. Delete emissions equipment on the 6.7 and lose the warranty, and you might not pass state inspection.

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

A 5.9 doesn't always get better mileage. Depends on the driver and driving conditions. Tune and delete a 6.7 and it'll run some good numbers for mileage. My friend was seeing low 20's out of an 07.5 cc/sb 4x4 2500. 6.7/auto.

Depending on the county he may have emissions to do, otherwise around me the inspection won't even notice. They pay more attention to the steering and tires then where the exhaust filter fell off at.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

FWIW the old 5.9 mechanicals were capable of 24mpg when set up right... and true it depends where you live they WILL do a full emission test and visual inspection here and you will fail and be fined for removal of emissions equipment.I had a shop argue with me a few years back about a missing muffler and tailpipe even tho the exhaust ended pas the passenger compartment, which is what the law specifices must happen.
    Each brand has their reported "facts" - I had a Ford master tech telling me how Dodge paid fines for every truck in 2000 and Ford was the only one to meet the new standards on time which isn't true.

12. DIRISHMAN

Sweet thanks just went and looked a 09 2500 laramie HD Quad cab srw 4x4 6.7 cummins with 50,370 for 32,400 problem is no warrenty left except motor for 100k........ no drivetrain or anything else covered.????

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

6.7 - In stock form - Pro's - better tranny (6 gears vs 4) , generally newer with less miles, no def fluid, exhaust brake. Con's - Worse fuel mileage, sooted up turbo's, headgasket issue's, some TIPM problems as well.
    Modded - Similar MPG's, can't run as high boost as 5.9 without head studs, tranny is hit or miss for how much it'll take (some guys pushing over 400 whp with no prob's, some guys lose them stock), good power gains from simple programmers.

5.9 - Pro - No Emission's stuff (saved $$$), stronger motor, 48RE is a stout tranny, bigger aftermarket generally costing less, possibly cheaper to purchase. Con's - 4 speed tranny, probably older, probably higher miles. Runs cooler EGT's than the 6.7 but not really something to be worried about, the 6.7 just generates more heat.

Saying the 48RE is a weak tranny is laughable.

14. DIRISHMAN

Ok plowguy.question now is might you know about when the turbo has sooot problems .? Also didnt know it took def fluid in the Dodge thought only GM and Ford did.also what about front axles herd about bearings????

15. jhenderson9196

Turbo problems seem to have been solved. The early trucks sooted up the turbo IF they weren't worked hard enough.these trucks are not good grocery getters. ECM re- programming seems to have fixed the problem. No DEF in any dodge, YET. Wheel bearings seem to be a problem in trucks with aftermarket wheels with the wrong back spacing. I have stock wheels, and replaced mine once in 290,000 miles. I saved the old ones for spares because I changed them before they went bad.

16. plowguy43

DEF is only on the chassis cab Dodge 4500/5500's until 2013 when they will all get it.

The 2010's and newer don't have as many soot problems but it exits if not driven hard. Dodge recommends running the exhaust brake at all times.

Wheel bearings do go bad mostly from moisture because they are sealed. I had to replace one on my hemi at 80k miles

17. DIRISHMAN

ok look not tryin to drag this out fo ever but need to do some research.So next questin is it more wise to look for a 5.9 or dont worry about the 6.7. reason i ask is because Yes I am a gas guy and have wanted a diesel of some sort.Have herd more horror stories about the fords and chevey's .look i know they all have there problems somewhere along the line.The way I look at it if th Cummins was so bad Guys would not opt to do the so called swap in to what ever they drive so being I am ford guy, drove newer dodge and was pleasantly suprised so now what? So look I know it is personal prefrence but if you had a choice before buying would you opt for a 5.9 vs the 6.7 also after crunching nubers the ford and the chevey are anywhere from 5,000 to 11,000 more than a dodge in the USED catagorie....Thumbs Up Thanks Again

18. jhenderson9196

The 6.7 motors are very reliable when left unmolested. No programmers or mods. I have an 04.5 with 290,000 miles on it. If I needed a new truck, I would buy a 6.7. The new cabs and autos are great.

19. plowguy43

I agree. Remove the emissions cap and it'll give you no problems. my 12 valve that I just swapped into my truck had 210,000 on it and it's just getting broken in

20. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Pictures or it didnt happen.:mechanic: