1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.7L v8 issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by born2farm, Jul 10, 2013.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I have a question for you Chevy gurus. I have a 1998 GMC 3500 Savana van with the 5.7L v8 in it. We use it for our sidewalk crews. It had been sitting since March when I went to move it across town the other day. It fired right up, but on the way to the shop I kept hearing a very loud whining/grinding noise. Wasnt sure what it was, but when I got it to the shop and diagnosed it I realized the starter had stuck out, and been grinding on the flywheel. I replaced the starter and have had issues ever since. When I turned the key "ON" the starter would cycle even without turning the key all the way to "RUN". I took the starter back out, checked all the wires and re-installed it. This seemed to help some, but when I start the vehicle the starter still will not kick out. I replaced the Starter Relay and it is still doing it. Is it possible my brand new starter is bad? Could it be something in the Ignition Control Module?

Any help is appreciated.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I thought a 98 wouldnt have a module
    The starter engage in "run" might just be ignition switch out of adjustment or needs new
    If the starter isn't kicking out,,,,need to ck that small signal wire and make sure you have 12v at that wire in crank

3. born2farm

I changed the ignition switch with no help to the issue. I am able to pull the relay, and the starter kicks out. To me this means there is a short between the starter and the relay?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

When you pull the relay. Are you jumping the pins or are you turning the key ?

5. born2farm

i think i have it figured out now. after dumping money into it, it turns out something in the key/tumbler itself is sticking. I lubed it up and it seems to have corrected the problem. probably going to replace the key and cylinder just to be safe.