1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.7L Engine Trouble

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hurley2323, Jun 27, 2003.

1. hurley2323

hurley2323 Junior Member

:(
    I would kindly like some input on the engine trouble I am having with my 1995 5.7L Chevy Silverado 1500 4*4.
    It all started the other day when I went to start my truck and heard a loud engine knock on the right side of the engine bay. My mechanic has heard the truck run and was guessing it might be a connecting rod. He is going to drop the oil pan to determine what exactly is causing the noise. If the news is even worse than what my mechanic thinks it is would it be worth fixing? Buying a new engine for the truck? Or looking for a new truck?
    The truck has 134,000mi on it, but the body, ect.. is in perfect condition.
    Thanks
    Dan

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

welcome to plowsite:waving:

if you find that the truck is not performing good and it is failing to run good then you should look at new trucks. If the truck still runs good and this is the only problem with it then why not keep it. It is always nice to get a new truck i love new trucks. Good luck with the truck and i hope everything works out good:nod:

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

If the truck is in decent shape,then put a motor in it.Get a GM crate motor or a good rebuild like a Jasper.Don't bother wasting money trying to patch it,as it will just come back to haunt you.If you going to sell it or trade it in,they maybe try to repair it,but if not,get it rebuilt by a pro.

If you do rebuild or fix it,make absolutly sure you replace the oil cooler (in the rad),and the lines.They have a lot of tiny passages that you cannot get all the debris out of and they will quickly destroy the new motor.There is a GM TSB on this,and most good rebuilders should include the documentation with the motor.

The oil cooler can be done by most rad shops,and does not require replacement of the complete rad.If the rad is in cruddy shape,now would be the time to replace it.

4. Workhorse2500

Workhorse2500 Junior Member

My 1990 Chevy 1500 had a 4.3 in it and bout 173000 miles it developed a knocking noise that continuously got louder and louder until it lost oil pressure and really struggle to stay running. It ended up that a push rod broke and I had to get a new jasper in it. If the truck is in good shape just get a new engine in it. I had a mechanic put a new jasper replacement in for around $2000.