1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.7 Chevy engine......need help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rb8484, Dec 27, 2009.

1. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Hey everyone. Well, was out plowing last night and was pulling out into traffic and I goosed the gas pretty hard and now I have an engine knock. Any thoughts? Bearing, rod??? 134,000 on the clock. It is a 2000, with the 5.7 vortec, old body style. What would you guys suggest I do? My mechanic is looking at it first thing in the morning, so I should know more then and will update. If I do a reman, what brand should I go with. The truck only gets about 5,000 miles put on her a year, so keep that in mind when suggesting as to the warranty is concerned.
    Please send me your thoughts!!

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

alright did you check oil?

how high rpm it went when you hammered.

cheapest is put thick oil for while you have enough money to buy reman engine.

3. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Kinda hard to diagnose a knock over the internet. Are you sure it's coming from inside the engine and not some belt driven accessory like the water pump, or maybe even a cracked flywheel or exhaust manifold? I'd say wait until your mechanic isolates the noise before you assume you need an engine.

4. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I was waiting for someone to ask about the oil. lol. Yes, it was full of oil. I dont know what the rpms where. It deffanitly wasnt excessive.

5. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Yeah, I know its hard to diagnose a knock without hearing it for yourself. It is deffinitly coming from inside the engine.

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

ok what weight oil? Could be thin oil cause bearing on rod touch crankshaft under load.

do you change oil often?

Worst thing is just have mechanic replace all rods bearing on crankshaft.

7. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Yes, we are good about changing the oil. We did just buy the truck and changed the oil when we got it, put about 200 miles on it, and we noticed the oil pan started leaking (pan was rusty). We took it in and had the pan replaced and of course new oil again. We have maybe 400 miles on the new oil. Im not sure what weight oil the garage put in it when they did the pan. I think we put 10w30 in it when we got it.
    You want to talk about thin oil, my ford v10 takes 5w20!

8. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

If your brave enough you could pull the spark plug wires off (one at a time) to isolate which cylinder the noise is coming from, if it is a rod bearing it will change the tone of the knock hope this helps. Another thing that could be making noise is the flex plate bolts could be loose that can simulate a rod knock.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Sounds like it could be pre-ignition/detonating, sometimes you only really hear it under load.

Is your coolant low? It might be a head gasket or something else in the head like bent rod, burnt valve seal, or a bad spring.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hopefully there's nothing wrong mechanically/internally. Those are very good engines, with an extremely strong track record. Something else to consider is a bad motor mount and now something is hitting.

11. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

X 2 on check your coolant.

12. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Coolant is fine. You can hear it more when it's under a load, but you can still hear it sitting at an idle.

13. terrapro

from MI

Probably exaust leak or rod knock then.

14. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

15. terrapro

from MI

16. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

That would eliminate the bolts but if it;s crack ? thats another story. Did the performance change at all ?

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

While checking the flex plate bolts you can inspect the flywheel for cracks....

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And if you're going to do that don't pull the trans pull the motor... because it needs to come out, its hurt.

Likely had a leaky intake gasket a time or two in its past and was run with coolant in the oil which takes the rod bearings out eventually if not caught in time. Happens somewhat often.

19. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Well, took it in and everyone said it sounds like a rod. Decided to just bit the bullet and put a new reman it it. Took it in today at lunch time and they already have the old engine out. Should have it back tomorrow!! Everyone I talked to said it would be mid week or next week before they could get to it. This place said they could drop a new one it and have it back to me sometime on Tuesday. Plus the price was better than expected.....$1995 installed. Cant afford to have a truck down this time of year!!

20. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of Warranty are they offering you ????