1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5-6 yard salt spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TerryfromCanada, Nov 27, 2014.

1. TerryfromCanada

TerryfromCanada Junior Member

Hello guys and gals. I have a gmc 6500 cab and chassis truck that I am going to install a salter on. I would like a 5-6 yard unit.

I need a gas or electric powered one. Prefer gas as I had a bad experience with an electric air-flo when they first came out.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Also, how hard is it to mount the unit to the chassis?

Thanks in advance,

Terry

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

How long do you plan to keep the truck? What are your thoughts on hydraulic? I have a 2001 6500 and we have a 5.5 yard hydraulic salter on it, don't think I would really consider anything else.

3. TerryfromCanada

Hello cet. Thanks for the reply. I see you are in Newmarket. I am in Whitby. I just bought the truck. It is a year 2000 gmc 6500. Don't know how long I will have it for. I like the thought of hydraulics but it seems pretty expensive. Gas or electric seems like the more inexpensive route.

4. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Chassis mount

We built one International 4300 with a chassis mounted v-box and are building another one. We have done this a couple of times before. They work great! Hydro kits are about $1800-2200.00 if you install them yourself. Most items are bolt on with a few custom hydro lines.

Int V Box.jpg

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I'd hate to do anything but hydro on something that size. Our electric spreaders are ok for 2 yards, but I think I'd gouge my eyeballs out waiting for one to empty if I had 6 yards in it...

TGS, where are you sourcing your hydro kits? Or are you buying pieces from here and pieces from there and putting it together?

6. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Hydro source

We go through a local company called "Joint, Clutch and Gear". They basically are a buyers distributor. We get the entire kit from them.

7. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Great people there!!!!!........Jeff knows his stuff............:drinkup:

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Run away from any electric spreader Terry. Far and fast.

Never had a gas, but I have made the expensive mistake of purchasing 2 electric spreaders and they are both flaming POS.

Personally, I would go hydro.

But, if you insist on electric, I'd be happy to sell you my Meyer MDV, as soon as it is repaired.......again.

9. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

X2, gas or hydro is the only way.

I've got a 8-9 year old gas vbox that looks brand new, a little maintenace and a lot of FF goes a long way. Origninal except for one drive chain, one set of bearings, one carb, and one muffler. Never let us down, and has run a lot of wet bulk through it.

10. TerryfromCanada

Thanks for the replies guys.
    TGS, that's a sweet looking set up. How much was the salter if I may ask?
    Thanks Mark. I have ruled out electric altogether.
    98 chevy, what size is your salter?
    Now that I have my truck, I have started to shop for salters in my area and there is none in stock. Where can I find gas salters 5-6 yards in stock or where can I get one within a reasonable amount of time. This is getting very complicated...lol...

11. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Spreader...

That spreader was around 12k. As mentioned above, they are bullet proof.

12. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If you can go hydro, find a truck with a dump body, then a replacement tailgate or under tailgate spreader is the way to go.

On my second truck with this setup and I will never ever use a v-box unless my life depended on it.

.. .. .. .

13. John_DeereGreen

You like the tailgate replacements that much better than a hydraulic v box? I'd just feel a little bad about dumping salt into an expensive dump body, when I could take that dump body off for the winter and bolt a hydraulic v box to the frame instead.

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Who have you called? Have you tried Drive Products? It's pretty easy to buy from the US. The dollars not great now but I bet you would still save some money. Try ESI or Bonnell.

http://bonnellusedequipment.com/content/swenson-mdv-1044-v-box-spreader

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  15. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If you can take the dump body off then that's a good option.

In our case, we don't have the means to take the dump body off the truck.

Really though, if you could get a stainless dump body, then there really isn't much difference if any at all.

16. John_DeereGreen

That would be the ticket there...I bet the body would last as long as 2 trucks, too.

We have 3 wheel loaders and a 4 ton hoist in the shop, so removing a dump body can't be that damn hard. I think they just bolt to the frame.

Oh well, projects for another day and dollar. Our v boxes work well enough to get the job done, and I think that money would be better spent elsewhere.

17. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Dumping the body 50 times a night is that fun isn't it??? LOL

I'll never use a tailgate salter unless my life depended on it, nothing but a pita and never a nice consistent dependable flow that doesn't leave big clumps when you turn it off

18. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I'll trade you my under tailgate for your Vbox any day - Vbox maybe a bigger investment but consistency and ease of use will payoff sooner than later.

Electric is for 2yd or less.

19. TerryfromCanada

Thanks guys. Still trying to locate an avaiable spreader. Going with a v-box, just have to find one...lol...

20. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Am I just wishful thinking or did V-Boxes go waayyy up in price? I thought a 7yd Salt Dogg was 10-11k, I see them now for 16k.