1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.6 acres parking lot bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by mtstclair, Feb 24, 2009.

1. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

I was wandering how log it would take three truck to do 5.6 acres! Im thinking that it would take around 4-5 hrs and that is going to be to long to take to get it done what do you guys think? I think i need a bigger piece or more trucks and what to charge i was thinking at least $1875.00 but i usually charge by the inch. And then how much salt would it take to cover it too that I am completely lost on. This is about 6 times bigger then my next biggest parking lot might be a little much:eek: I gusss more than anything how long do you think it would take three full size truck with v blades to do? any help would be appreciated
  2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

roughly one acre per hour per truck.
  3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

taking into account any accumulation?
  4. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

I was thinking around a how long a 4 inch snow would take and either go up or down from their
  5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Pricing is all over the board from different areas. On a 3 inch snow fall the general rule is 1 acre/hr, if it is more cut up, then .8/hr. With V plows it would be less, @ $ 1875 in my market, they would laugh at you, BUT every market is different. Here that is probably less than a $ 600 push, again thats here, personally I wouldn't even bid somthing like that with just trucks, because at any given time we might end up with 12-18", with just trucks you wouldn't be able to do anything & good luck finding a loader at that point.
  6. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Picture of the lot? Any other details? 1500 chevy with meyers 7' blade? or F450 with 9'2" boss?
  7. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

an acre is 200 feet by 200 . You can easily do 2,5 to 3 acres an hour up to 4"
  8. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

ya if i got the bid it would be would start May 1st so that would give me all summer to find a skid or a backhoe as I am already looking for one I think my 25hp kubota would be useless. Probally a ten foot box or so depending on what I get. My uncle has a farm and I could probally get a 100hp tractor from him for the winter. They said they would sign a 5 year contact which is what has got me a little excited about it. How many tons of salt would it take to cover 5.6 acre lot do you think?
  9. Watch out yelow

Watch out yelow Member

2,500 to 2,800 lbs per application of salt on the max side, depends what material you use. And forget trucks for a job like that.. One truck is all I would keep on site. A large loader with a snow pusher (14-20 ft range) and a smaller loader/skid steer with a ten-twelve foot pusher. Even 4" of snow would be a lot to do if not impossible with just trucks and straight plows. Not only that you could never compete against someone with loaders and pushers. Thank this one through its alot of pavement to clear.
  10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

A picture of the lot would be very helpful. Different shapes and obstacles could vastly increase of decrease your time. Three trucks... approx 2 hours if you don't smash into eachother.
  11. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

One lot we take care of Is a 4.3 acre lot with 7 islands which aren't included in the sq footage and it takes two trucks about 45 minutes total, this is with no cars in the way and with cars about 1-1/2 hours thats with a 2 to 4 inch push.Trucks are 1/2 ton and one ton both with straight blades with pro wings . If you wanna ride along come for a visit.$1875 sounds steep but each geographical area is different, Lets say you had 3 trucks for 5 hours which is 15 hrs divided by 1875 your charging $125.00 a hr for a truck, here the rate is 50 to 65 an hr.But then you also have to work in your salt. Hope you get it sounds like fun.
  12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I would agree on the price you thought out ($1875.00), but I would think you would have to do it faster than 4-5 Hrs. If this is 6x bigger than anything else you have - STAY AWAY! This will no doubt be the biggest pain in the ass you can imagine! Try to grow more slowly and let the bigger companies do these places. Maybe down the road you can work up to an account of this size, but until you can do it comfortably stay within your means. Just my opinion.
  13. Watch out yelow

Watch out yelow Member

It would also depend on the client and lot structure.. do they need it completed quickly like most larger businesses or can you take your time with just one truck and a skid steer loader/pusher? Im sure everyone will steer you in a better direction if we knew the details.
  14. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

2 hours if not many obstructions and 8 to 8.5 blades.
  15. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

1 acer is roughly 90 yards of a football field. 3 trucks may be bumping into each other on a lot that size.
    I agree with needing pictures. I had a lot before that had so many islands and curbs sticking out that it took 3 hours longer then if it had been open.
  16. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

I do not have any pictures but it is a square lot that has six islands in the middle of it. It does have three loading docks and about a mile of road that leads to it. I dont think it would be to much now after hearing all of the comments. Plus I have three apartment complexes that the contract will be comming at the end of this year and I was thinking of dropping these eventhou they probally pay a little more because I just cant deal with the people any more. This lot i should be able to at night before anyone get there and plus it is a mile from my house and I am pretty sure I am going to get a larger tractor or skid. so I can put a push box on it and with three trucks should be able to knock it out in 2hrs or less.
  17. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Wow people are saying from 2 hours for one truck to 2 hours with a loader and 3 trucks!!

We do a retail store that is almost the same and plow it with a small backhoe loader in 3 hours. Last week the loader was down and we plowed it with two 4500's with 9' blades in about 2 hours, but we only had 1.5- 2" of snow.

salt for me would be about 2 tons
  18. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Ya I couldnt see where all that "time" was coming from
  19. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I was gonna say,...25 to 2800# for 4 1/2 acres would be WAY on the light side if we are talking salt.
  20. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

I agree with runner, I would say about 4,500 pounds of salt for your average application on 4 1/2 acres.