1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.4l v8 enough for commercial plowing?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jonnywong, Nov 2, 2010.

1. jonnywong

jonnywong Member

Im looking at getting an '06 5.4l V8 f250 and was wondering what peoples thoughts were on its power, reliability, and general function for plowing. Im currently running an '01 7.3l diesel but have been thinking about a newer gasser because i dont really have a need for a diesel and am more familiar with gas engine should a breakdown occur. Any input on the 5.4L is much appreciated -
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have a 06 with a 5.4L and so far so good. Its done everything I've asked it too. Including plowing up hills, long pushes, etc. It might not out push you diesel but when I had a skid of salt in the bed, it would go through anything.
  3. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

the 5.4 is fine for plowing. You will have now problem .
  4. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

The company truck I use is an 05 350 5.4 dump. Pushes good enough for me in commercial lots, if it is heavy and wet snow drop it in 4 low and go.
  5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

other than not needing the 7.3 why down grade to something with lower mpg's and less power? imo unless you need to get rid of the payment id keep the 7.3!
  6. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I'd agree with keeping the 7.3. It's an extremely reliable engine that should give you years of trouble free use. That being said;

You don't need hp to push snow. There are 60 hp tractors that can outpush a 300 hp truck. Gearing has something to do with it, but weight is the largest consideration. 300 hp can spin the wheels very quickly while pushing no snow. Engine size has very little to do with the capability of a plow vehicle.
  7. jonnywong

jonnywong Member

I agree the 7.3l is a reliable engine, but there is more to a truck than just the engine. Plain and simple, its time for a new one. Ive replaced all the leaf springs, alternator, brake lines and several other things in the past year - next may be the oil pan. Shes is tired and getting rusty and id rather put the repair bills toward a new truck payment.
    I know the 5.4l has less power but im interested in a newer truck that's reliable and not gonna cost me an arm and leg to maintain. Sounds like a couple of you guys run them without any problems which is what i wanted to hear.
  8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Its a great reliable motor with a great tranny as well. If you can swing it check out the 2011 6.2. May not be a huge difference payment wise.
  9. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Post up some pics of the ol' 7.3. The 5.4 is a good motor.
  10. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

It seems to me you run out ot traction before horsepower. I think the 5.4 will be fine. See plenty of them plowing when I am out.
  11. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

It's a very good motor. If you can though, spring for the 6.8L V10. Same gas mileage, more linear power sooner. Will work better for you if you tow heavy in the summer, or just if you need an extra bit of "oophm".

If you can't find one, a 5.4L will more than do the job, just don't expect it to go places fast.
  12. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

You'd be surprised at what they'll give you an '11 6.2 at right now. Do yourself a favor and atleast go drive a '10 5.4 and an '11 6.2 and see the difference. I know you're talking a few years old used but the new 6.2 w/ 6 speed tranny is a very nice setup if you could consider going new.
  13. OHSIX6OH

OHSIX6OH Junior Member
    from Maine

I had an 04 F-250 with the 5.4 plowing parking lots , truck was a work horse .Only issue I had was ice build up around the wipers and they would pop off once in a while.

14. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

just got a 5.4L 2010 Reg Cab and it is fine for towing. It's fuel economy won't be over 14 mpg...ever...if you get that! But it is a reliable, and useful engine. There are lots of them so work/parts isn't to bad on the wallet if you ever did have an issue. I'd recommend the 5.4 ford or the 6.0 chevy for gassers for plowing. I'd rec. the 6.6L Duramax or the 5.9L Cummins for anything also. I can speak for those drive trains. The 5.4 in the ford will be the most cost effective of all of the above.
  15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed 100%. The new 6.2/6 speed is a great setup that has plenty of power all around. Mileage isn't bad either, definitely worth a look.
  16. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

I have an F250 2006 5.4L as well. Had a 6.0 Powerstroke, traded it in (mistake), but not because of the 5.4L being uncapable of what I need it for, mainly because I was used to power that wasnt there after I got the gasser. Guess I just jumped the gun on trading it. Anyhow, the 5.4L is a good solid engine, only thing done to it so far was warranty covered exhaust manifold work. Besides that, I have had NOTHING go wrong. I wouldnt go from a diesel to a gasser again, but with that being said, the one I have still does the job....oh yeah, I have 4.56 gears too (partially to help with 35" tires)...but it definitely helps when pushing wet heavy snow around!
  17. Diesel Sniffer

Diesel Sniffer Member

I have a 2004 5.4 that plows commercial with no problems. I also have a 2006 5.4 that plows with no issues at all. The 2006 is nicer to drive due to the re-designed front-end compared to the 2004. It has a tighter turning radius. Also, the HP was bumped up a little from 2004 to 2006. Not a huge noticable difference when driving, but it is there. You will be very happy with a 2006 5.4 if that is the route you go. It is a tried and true engine - with significantly lower operating costs than a diesel. I agree with you, after years and years of running nothing but diesel, it is getting difficult to justify the added cost associated with them. To buy a brand new one now? No way. Not with how the EPA has ruined the diesel market for light duty trucks. With the HP and tourque ratings on gassers now being just as high or even higher than diesels were just 10 or so years ago, I will be changing over to gas - and saving $12,000 per truck up front and in maintenance costs. Take it from someone who has owned over 30 diesels over the past 10 years, you'll be very happy with the 2006 compared to the 2001. It will just take some getting used to. Good luck!
  18. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the 5.4 will plow fine, but plan on using more gas.
    i use 1 gallon per hour diesel, and 3,5 gallons per hour gas.
    and the trucks are doing the same exact work, following each other.
    02 diesel, 4.10 gears, auto trans and 8.5 ft plow,
    2000 gasser, 4.10 gears auto trans and 8 ft plow.
    the diesel is usually the breakout truck, with the gasser keeping the roads clean.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

One of the trucks I have is an 04 F-350 5.4 with 3.73 gears and it runs a 9 1/2 Fisher XV and does a great job. Not a ton of power but it get the job done.
  20. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

there was a typo in my post. the 5.4 gasser truck uses 2.5 gallons per hour, not 3.5