1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.4 V8--A legendary engine?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sweetpete, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey Guys:

I get the sense that sometimes the 5.4 V8 gets a bad rap considering it's the base engine for the Superduty and the smallest.

But I just wanted to say one thing: if time tells all things, it seems that the 5.4 V8 is going to go down in the history books as one of the best engines Ford's ever made. I know it's not a power house like the V10 and CERTAINLY not on the same page as the diesel.

But it just seems that if someone was looking for a reliable, decent pulling motor that has years of being built behind it, you can't really go wrong with the 5.4. I've read posts that say their 5.4 is in the upper 100k miles and still running strong.

So, I just was curious if any here either agree or disagree with this thought and if so, why. Also, when did the 5.4 first start in production? Thanks guys. Take care

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

It is a good motor. IMO I dont think they have the power to get it done on long pushes or towing. There fine for everyday driving, light towing, and plowing most applications.
    The fuel economy is okay too.
    As far as Legendary goes the only small block that comes to my mind is the GM 350.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well owning a 5.4L in our SD I can tell you it runs well but is definitely lacking in the hp department. It does the job but I really wish I could have found one with a V-10. Our biggest push for snow is one of our condo places, its about 150 yards long and up hill. I only have trouble when its the heavy, heavy wet stuff and a full blade of snow. As far as towing, mine has 4:10 limited slip and we tow a 8.5x16ft enclosed trailer for landscaping loaded with a Z turn, walkbehind mowers and the usual tools and it tows it just fine with plenty of power imo.

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I agree with Brian Young. We have 5.4s where I work and they are great engines. They run really well, but put 3500 lbs. behind them and you would think they are about to blow. This is coming from a V10 owner, so take it with a grain of salt. As far as a commuter or everyday truck engine they are great, especially for a base engine.

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

x2 where i work we have a 03 F350 with the 5.4L and we pull a 24 foot enclosed trailer sometimes you need to get some serious speed up before you attempt any kind of hill. but ya they are fine if you dont tow a lot.

6. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

My 99 blew the plugs right out of the heads. They only had 3 threads securing them in the head. Garbage! And shameful that Ford knew it and avoided taking responsibilty for their own design flaw! The later ones are supposed to be better (after mid 2001 I believe, the PI models).

7. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

For the F150s and the expeditions I've driven with the 5.4s, def legendary..plenty of power. But in the 250+ SDs, ehhhh not so much.

8. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

That's right! They would shoot plugs right out. New heads wer big $$ also. Heli coils were be used left and right,

I dunno about going down as a great motor. The 4.9 straight six was a great motor.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I vote 327, though there's also the 340 and 215. not work engines but they could put out lots of HP

10. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Good replies. Thanks. I agree, for lighter duty towing and your typical snowplowing use, I think it works pretty well.

But when you have the long run with the heavy snow, I can see where it'll work alot more than the V10 and PSD.

Also, anyone know when the 5.4 came out and what it was originally in? Just curious.

Thanks

11. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

The new ones 04 and up aren't that great either... they constantly knock do to bad cam phazers on the motors! I traded mine off with 75,000 and the 3rd set was just replaced. I thought it lacked in the power department too...

They came out in the 1997 model 1/2 ton and light 3/4 I don't know if they used it anywhere before that though...

12. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

fords legendary motors were the 300 straight six and the 351W jmo....

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Triton motors came out in the Mustangs first...replacing the 5.0's.

14. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

The 351W was a great motor. I had one in my first truck, a 1996 F150. I really wish that I held on to that truck. It would smoke the tires with ease and tow anything I could throw at it. Exmark1 is right, the 5.4 came out in 1997 when they changed the body style over.

15. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Still not sure where you need all the power for plowing. From my Toyota 4 cyl to my F550 PSD I am always at max weight and still spin the tires (Snows) before I ever run out of power (bog down or stall) on long runs. Plowing is all about traction not about power. Use a low gear and you will move mountains of snow if you can get traction.

Sure the power is nice the rest of the year for towing etc, but I think if I was just setting up a plow truck I would go V6 motors on 1 ton chassis (I know not avaiable) Plenty of pushing power better mileage but less weight on the front end for a plow.

16. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Actually, this is a really good point. Plowing seems to be more about traction than power. Maybe the torque of the diesel is really what you want, when it's all said and done.

Also, I think it's interesting that you can get the V6 in the E-series 250 and 350, but not the F series. I think that would also be an interesting combo, if they could really tune the V6 right.

17. 04f250xlt

04f250xlt Junior Member

Under Powered 2004 and older

I wish I waited a year for my purchase, Ford made some changes in 2005 three-valve version of the 5.4 liter V8 that delivers an additional 40 HP.

My truck is manly a commuter/ grocery getter, I don’t tow anything.

When plowing the heavy wet stuff up hill, I wish it had afew more horses and afew more pounds of torque..

I wouldn’t call the 5.4 legendry by any means, ford has had many issues since first released in 97.

I have 53000 on mine and it was towed to the dealer Thursday night for its third
    Idle/Air control valve

18. Tuxx

Tuxx Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Mine is a 06 5.4,I got it in September of last year.We bought it because of the 0%,My wife wanted to buy something and that was the only 06 left where we buy our Fords.It plows just fine in 2 and 4 wheel drive.It has 3.73,I would of liked the 4.10.We towed our Trailer to Brownsville Tx and back to Northern Ohio,It does lack overall HP for a 10,000 # Trailer,but the Truck&Trailer was over the trucks limit by as much as 600# or more.

19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I was hoping someone would mention the 5.8W.
    You gotta love the Idle Air Control's My 5.8's working on it's 3rd one in 5 years!
    One for a 95 is $65 at Advance. The one for a 2000 is $120 only available at Ford Dealer.
    Same thing different shape ports!

20. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

your way off man, the 4.6 replaced the 302 in the mustang in 1996. you could get the 4.6 modular motor in the crownvics in 1993. 4.6 is the little brother to the 5.4, just like the 302 was to the 351-w.