1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.4 spark plugs

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by R&R Yard Design, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Hey folks, i am doing a tune up on my truck and need to know what you guys would think the best plug for this truck would be.

let me know as soon as you can
  2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

The same Motorcraft plug that came out of it.
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

x 1 million payup

take it from a mechanic on a daily bases . :nod:

and i fixed it jmr.
  4. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

what year is truck?
  5. Its a 2000. With 244000 miles on it and on sat I had to replace 2 coils to get rid of a miss. We now it is missing again so I am going to change all the plugs and hope that solves it. The last time that I chaged them was about at 100k so its do for them
  6. So that means I have to go to the stealer

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Being a 2000 you do not say if you bought new. If not you don't know who may have changed those plugs before you. Look in your truck manual that comes with it, if you still have one. Not sure about Ford but GM use to give at least 2 options for plugs.

I would try a NAPA before a dealer. Heck K-Mart & Monkey Wards use to carry Motorcraft plugs.
  8. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

Always had good luck with autolight
  9. JMR

JMR Senior Member

There are places other than the dealer that sell Motorcraft. You may also want to replace the coil/plug boots on the other 6 coils that are not new. Those are available from O'Rielly's or Carquest.
  10. I got it when it had 54000 on it.
  11. toptech72

toptech72 Member
    from 21078

Stay with motorcraft plugs. You should be able to get them from Advance Auto or another part store. Check and make sure you dont have a leaking intake manifold or PCV hose which are common problems on those motors.
  12. Autolite lists a double platinum plug as oe equipment. Part# APP103. I would also replace the remaining coils as this is a common problem on those trucks. Part# in a Standard brand is FD503. You don't need to go to a dealer for these parts.
  13. Well I think that I am going to do plugs and change out the other 6 coils.
  14. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Replace ALL of the coils. My 2000 5.4 was running like crap for a while. Found out 1 coil was cracked, which is why it ran especially bad in rainy weather. Week after the first one was replace I took it back to have 2 more coils replaced. A few days later it started running like crap again, so 2 more were replaced. Finally I had the last 3 replaced 2 weeks ago when I had new tires put on. Once 1 goes bad, the rest are sure to follow. Do them all at one time.
  15. Ok, got them done. Used NGK plugs cause that what i have the best of luck with them. The old ones where Motorcraft plat. Cleaned up all the coils, tested each one and they are ok, so we shall see how it works now. I can say that it has some balls now