1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.4 owner, I want to hear some feedback

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 4 Saisons, Jul 24, 2003.

1. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

I need a new truck, I don't drive enough to justify a diesel ( 22 000 km since April 01). I currently have a 90 351w 5 speed, my trailer is a 6½X14 goose neck(dump trailer). I did not have the chance to use it at full capacity (15 000 lbs), but it may happen few times a years in the future.

I have an option on a 03 f350 ext cab, short box, 5.4 triton ,automatic, 4.10 and snow package.i don't like the color (burgundy) but all others 5.4 available are with 3.73:rolleyes: )

o% 48 or 2.9% 60 month on 03, first time we have low interest on SD in canada, usually deals are for truck below 8 600 gvwr.

Could I expect satisfaction from that truck ??? My other choice is a gm 6.0.

My tough is Ford front axle win over gm IFS, but gm automatic tranny is better and they have few more ponnies and a little bit more torque.

Dealer need an answer before 5pm Friday and I'am totally confused :confused:

Thanks for your help!
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Denis - there is a local outfit here that uses newer Super Duties,both 250's and 350's,all with the 5.4 L.He swears by them.They are all just leased trucks,but have had very few problems over the 3 year period.He also says the gas mileage when plowing isn't too bad either.

You are correct on Ford having the edge with the solid front axle.Trannies are both strong.If you like the Ford,go for it.Good luck.
  3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Ford Truck

Denis, Chris is right on with this one..
    Everyone that I have come a crossed that has the 5.4 is very satisfied with the performance of the engine and the truck overall. And handle plows and other added equipment without doing too much if any work to their suspension. Good luck making you decision.
    :rolleyes: John........
  4. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

Thanks guys, your opinion is very helpfull, first new truck, I don't want to make a 40 000$ mystake, also I plan to keep it many years.

Chris, do you know what kind of minor issues it was? Anyway, with any truck you may have problem! Just don't want the worst. Last years you told me you got better price on plow than here, I will contact you later.
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Most of the problems that I know of that he had,were some minor issues with the front hubs,and an ABS problem.Both had been repaired with no other further problems.

I will call him today and ask if there were any other major things.

Let me know what your looking at for a plow,or other equipment,and I'll see what I can do for you.
  6. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

Haven't got to put mine to the snow test yet but I have pulled a couple trailers weighing 7000lbs and the only problems I had was going up and down some hefty hills I think it was lacking a little torque or HP. Looking at adding on a K&N air filter and new exhaust. I have pretty much the same truck as you are looking at. 03' F250 SD 4x4 super cab short bed 5.4L 4.10 limited slip, plow package, trailer package. Cost me $38,000 and that included -$5000 on my trade in:cry: So in with plow Meyers 7.5 and truck the price was actually $33,000 not to bad since sticker was around $36,500 with plow and the bed liner. Here is my truck. :cool: http://community.webshots.com/photo/77425258/77425769PQuzir
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

I spoke to him today,and the only major problem he seemed to have was getting decent warranty repair work done.The dealer screwed him several times trying to get the 4WD repaired,but it was no fault of the truck,just lazy technicians who didn't want to properly diagnose his problem.

He also mentioned some of his trucks would pull over 20 MPG in the summer.Not bad fuel mileage.

He will be replacing them with more Fords again this fall.
  8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

A little late but you might want to hear this.

My brother in law is the mechanic for our fire dept. and we have 6 Expeditions with the 5.4. He's had to do head gaskets and intake gaskets on a number of them. I'll get you more specifics.
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have seen a few with headgsaket or intake problems,but no more than any other truck.It's still a pretty good motor overall,as Ford has had quite a while to work all the bugs out of it.
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The 5.4 is decent engine,do not expect it to perform well when towing or loaded though,it will do the job though,just not quickly.If you have to have the solid axle,the Ford is the way to go. The GM 6.0 will easily outperform the Ford,and get better mileage too.they do not have much ground clearance or plow frame clearance .After driving both,Id go with the GM,only because performance means a lot to me,and the Gm delivers that with the base engine.The Ford is a proven setup ,and Id buy one in a heartbeat if I needed the solid axle.If I were you,id drive both,and make your desicion then.
  11. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

The Ford 5.4L engine, in my oppinion does not even begin to compare to the GM motor. The 5.4L is known extremely well for having spark plug issues, head gasket issues and coil pack problems due to coolant leaking on them. The spark plugs blowing right out of the heads is a real known problem on other message boards as well. Im not saying dont buy the Ford truck, just get the V10 if you want to stay with a gas motor. Also the 5.4L is kind of a dog in my oppinion, especially being in such a big truck, such as an F250-F350. Mike
  12. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

I have a 2001 250 with the 5.4 and I have not had one problem. Truck has 55,000 miles on it and runs strong. Plowed for two years with a blizzard 810, pulls my 22 foot mowing trailer daily and occasionaly pulls my 24 foot heavy trailer with my tractor on it. So far no problems.
  13. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Ford 5.4

Got a 5.4 in my Eddie Bauer Expy 4x4. I have the 3.73 limited slip , trailer tow package, dual a/c etc and for what I use it for it is fine. Have 51K on it now, and it has been no problem, other than a plug coil going out at 3000 miles, fixed under warranty.

I have towed 6000 lbs with it, took my thinderbird on a u-haul rent a trailer from Florida up to NJ. Only pain in the butt was at 58-67 miles an hour it was in the wrong side of the torque curve and the automatic OD kept shifting in and out. Once I got over 70 mph it pulled fine. Seemed like the engine had some vacuum sensors on it to delay the shifting in the lower gears at lower speeds, but it pulled fine for me.

Mostly it sits now, I only drive it on weekends now, use it for church and grocery shopping.It has been back and forth to Jersey and Florida 9 times, once twice in a three week period. Still have original brakes, original hoses and belts too. Gonna get those hoses changed before the next Jersey Florida trip, don't want to push it!
  14. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

The 5.4 is a good engine. We have a Ford F-250 with the 5.4 I would watch the u-joints. They are usually bad on a ford super duty. You might need new ones every season. If can do it though, I would go diesel. They run so cool when plowing. You will get what you paid extra when it comes time for resale. I'm hearing bad things about the new 6 liter so I would try to find an 03 with the 7.3 maybe some good rebates too. I will never but another gas again. I love diesel!!!
  15. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Now that I think about it, my 2001 60k miles f-250 does the same shifting thing. At about 50 or so, it will shift in and out of od. It is a pain. I'm afraid my truck is gonna die or something. I'm glad to hear it isnt just me. When I speed up past 60 it goes away. Its just between 50 and 60 that it will shift up and down when it wants. I find myself turning off od sometimes which kills gas mileage.
  16. Randy Clarke

Randy Clarke Junior Member

I'm on my 4th F250 this 03 replaced a 01 same as your looking at but with 3.73 axle. 42,000km going ahead, a bunch backing up. The 4.10 axle will solve the shifting tranny by getting th 5.4 in it's power range. I deal every 18 mos. now because these trucks have such great resale here. I put an open K/N intake and Gibson cat-back on ands it really helps the power pulling. I take the items off and sell them when I deal. The v-10 is great but scares the average Joe on re-sale. Heavy hauler's buying used want diesel here. Repairs none, no warranty work just services. It will pull anything our diesels will, we just leave 10 minutes earlier.......ya it's a lot slower but does it all at reasonable cost.
    The 01 lost the tranny at 80,000km due to a broken reverse sprag I believe, the dealer good willed it no-charge. No other repairs just service. Plows on the trucks also. My 2000 Excursion PSD auto 4x4 has 190,000km - 1 starter, 1 center link, 3-sets of shocks, 3-sets of tires, lots of oil changes and filters, 4-sets of brakes. Ford had a brake problem on the EX the last time brakes where done we used drilled rotors and carbon pads and the brakes have gone twice as far and lots left.
  17. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

5.4 engine

My f-250 has a 5.8 351 vs 5.4 330.my truck is a 96 and they downsized the engine years back.I've driven a 5.4 in a newer F-250 and they have no comparison to the tork that is produced from the 5.8.I think they are sluggish in tork with that new 5.4.Though the horsepower is greater in the 5.4 occording to ford, but I see no difference.I personally like the 351 5.8 better.

The ten cylinder, now that is kick ass, they have alot of power but also guzzle alot of gas.

I do like the way the newer F-250's drive.I read last year that Ford is gonna redesign the F-250/350 either next year or by 2005, cant wait to see what it will look like.
  18. yako

yako Member

i have a 2001 f2505.4l reg cab 4.10. ive seen on here people mentioning up to 20 miles to the gallon. i get 11.5 with the tailgate up and up around 14mpg with the taligate down. i figured this was about right but after a couple of post ive seen, is my truck half dead or what.
  19. wyldman

wyldman Member

yako - the 4.10's may have a lot to do with your poor mileage.Laden weight and driving style will affect it too.
  20. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

The 410s definitely have alot to do with it. Your rpm's are always higher at any given speed than a guy with the exact truck as you, but with 373 gears. With those gears you are sort of always revving the motor. Naturally, your driving habits will have alot to do with it too as Chris stated, and using the A.C. will affect mpg also. Im sure those 410s plow good though. ;) Mike