1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.4 or 6.8 Gasser

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by rainman500_0, Dec 31, 2008.

1. rainman500_0

rainman500_0 Junior Member

I am considering another plow/ daily driver truck. I am thinking Ford F250-F350. I know it sounds dumb but i want power AND mpg without diesel. Any thoughts THANKSussmileyflag

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Kinda tough to get both without diesel

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

get v8 5.4L with gear ratio 4.10

or V10 6.8L with gear ratio 3.73

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get the V10. The MPG's will be better then the 5.4 especially when working the truck

5. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

The 5.4 won't get much better on mileage and it'll be alot worse towing, unless you go with the 5.4L, 6-speed manual, and 4.10... Seems like most of the guys with the 5.4L's are getting close to 15mpg unloaded highway, and the V10 maybe 13 or 14.. Its so close that I wouldn't even consiser the 5.4 unless it was a hell of a deal.

6. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

I have both.I prefer the v10 but 5.4 starts better in the cold.Have to plug the v10 more often is all.

7. toyman

toyman Senior Member

Avoid the 5.4L if you want to tow ANYTHING. The V-10 is the best for both. I can actually get better gas mileage with a V-10 Excursion and 4.30 gears than my 5.4L with the 4.10. Driving both vehicles the same way.

If you are just going to drive the truck with out towing anything the 5.4 will do ok. I get about 12 mpg not towing, about 9 mpg towing, and about 6 mpg plowing.

Toyman

8. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I don't agree with this post at all. I tow with my 5.4 and it does excellent!! I tow within my ratings and I have absolutely no problems.

So, why Toyman would use the statement "ANYTHING" is beyond me. I don't mean any disrespect, as this is just a lively defense of a great motor in a great truck.

If you use the 5.4 within it's limits, like any engine (V10 or Diesel) it will do beautifully.

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You must not have very high expectations if you think that little V8 does excellent:rolleyes:

10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

why dont you just buy a chevy with a 4.3 sixer... I've beat lots of guys with 5.4 fords... and am getting awsome fuel economy... it tows 6000 lbs. daily with no problems + its got 3.73's and it stays right beside my 5.8 F250 with 4.11's anything more then that is work for the duramax...

If a 5.4 cant tow 6000 lbs. without struggling then its simply a POS and you should be looking at a different truck manufacturer

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  11. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

We have an f 350 and f250 both with 5.4s. They are fine for towing if it isnt a huge trailer. We pull Id say around 5-7 K trailer all over the place. No problems. If you plan on pulling a two car hauler or something really heavy-------Diesel! Brother in law had V10, got 7-8 mpg towing, we get about 9-10 with the 5.4s. If you like to mash on the gas get the V10. Just had to put my two cents in.

12. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

6.8 v10 all the way. for the minimal price over the 5.4 your getting a lot more motor. and your truck will actually have a truck frame and suspension under that can handle a plow without help and the frame wont snap on yea unlike other manufacturers ( cough cough )gm) :rolleyes:

13. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

im curious as to what temps. you are plugging the v10 in at. ive had mine here in the states at -10* f without windchill starting fine. im just curious as to what temps i should be worried about.

14. abagoz

abagoz Junior Member

what are you talking about the frame's are all the same from the Diesel to the 5.4L in the Superduty. The only difference is the spring rates and axle ratio's

15. Milwaukee

I think he talk about GM frame bad design that snap frame.

V10 start ok but use more gas for high idle

V8 start ok but not great if it under-29 it have no oil pressure for few mins. that one never have maintain so i can't be sure what other V8 5.4L start that coldest outside.

16. abagoz

abagoz Junior Member

V10 over V8

To Clarify! I ment that the Superduty's are much more durable than the Chevy's. Frames have been known to crack on the Chevy trucks, even the 3500 Chevy's. The Superduty (Ford) has the same frames for the F250 and F350. The F450 and F550's are upgraded due to the GVW requirements. For the F250 / F350 the differences are the spring rates. Frame and Axles are the same rates. Applys for all enigne applications..

17. taken

taken Member

V10 is a $600 must have option. Most people dealers don't stock them as people mistakenly think they are bad on gas but as the above posts mention, they are only 1-2 mpg less than the 5.4. One post above is off though. If you get the V10 get the 4:30 gears. I am very active on the biggest Ford Truck forum online and the first mod anyone does to a used V10 purchase is change to the 4.30's. If buying new it is always highly recommended to order that way. It is because contrary to conventional wisdom with the V10's size, it does like to rev. Stop over to ford-trucks.com and you will find a ton of info on all your questions!

18. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov Junior Member

My shop guy says the same thing. I just bought an excursion with a 6.8 and it is only getting around 12 empty. I am going to do a tune up and some other simple things. I should be getting better mileage, i drive like a 80 year old grandma. I dont accelerate heavy, i dont drive more then 60mph, and i never let it idle.

We will see after the tune up.

Vance

19. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

Vance, You should be pretty pleased getting 12GPM... thats more then my 5.4 gets. I dont think anything you do will increase that significantly.

20. Milwaukee

Wow that worst. I get 14.5 mpg with 01 F250 supercrew cab with long bed.

Did you keep rpm under 1,800? That what I did but SLOW.