1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.4 MPG improvement

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WOODY367, Aug 28, 2009.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have a 04 F250 with the 5.4 and 4.10 rear. It is getting about 96.5 mpg even on the highway. Has anyone done anything to improve the MPG besides keeping the engine turned off? cold air intake, programer?

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

How much better do you want it?

I mean 96.5 mpg is pretty dang good already.:waving:

3. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Anything is better. I kinda wish I went with the diesel but couldn't afford it at the time. Here the get better MPG.

4. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I've found that when I sell my Fords, and buy a dodge, my mileage increases instantly.....:angel:

For all seriousness though things that work include:

Get rid of every pound you don't NEED. Tape every body seam on your truck.(if you're nuts) Get more of a mileage based tune. Switch to synthetic, everywhere. Open up the air and the exhaust of the truck. With the ford, I would pay special mind to opening up the exhaust. Get a toneau cover or a topper. Use a fuel additive from Amsoil. Change your fuel filter. Swap in a rebuilt 24 valve 5.9L Cummins and enjoy unlimited pushing pleasure with 23mpg highway, without all the above...:angel:

Before I get totally flamed. I loved my 94 powerstroke, and I like the new trucks offered from Ford. They look great, just like all the other new trucks. But not a single company makes a truck worthy of its price tag. I have no brand loyalty anymore, I just run what I'm familiar with.

5. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Do you happen to be loosing/burning any coolant?

6. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have a Roll N Lock cover which is cloase when ever It can, no extra weigh in truck, run Mobil 1 oil and the fuel filter was change 3000 miles ago.I have been told the air intake and exhaust really don't help with the 5.4 and not worth the money. But thats why I am asking. What about a tuner?Truck has 52000 miles on it so I am going to change plugs soonseeing I have then and before the old ones get stuck in the heads.

As far as coolant all is good.

7. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Tell you what. I'll send you a pic Monday after work of what I'm talking about with the exhaust. You're definitely right about the air intake. As far as exhaust, I'm not talking about putting "pipes" on it. I'm talking about having a qualified exhaust shop or welder rework your y-pipe. There's a spot in the connection where pipe diameter is reduced to about an inch. Causing TONS of heat and terrible efficiency. Your mileage and especially your power will increase after getting rid of the little bugger.

8. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Ok, look forward to it.

9. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I cut my catalytic converter off because it was plugged and it gets 13-14 mpg with my 5.4.

10. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

How do you pass emissions?

11. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

You could take a code reader and clear the code before you go to get the sticker so it wont show up if you clear it. But it will soon come back but it wont matter for another year.

12. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

put alcohol in gas tank so that should pass emission. Lot people do with old trucks with no emission stuff on it.

5.4L can get better than 5.8L It depend how heavy foot you have. I could get 23 mpg in 07 Lincoln Mark LT by stay at 63 mph with cruise control on.

If you still think you don't have heavy foot then go store get vacuum gauge and install on it. You will realized that you actual heavy on gas pedal.

13. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

As promised....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't mean to be harsh, but I doubt he cares much what someone else is getting with their 5.4 built by completely different people, on a different day, different year, with a different parts mix. HIS truck is getting 9mpg. And this is one of the major reasons why.

14. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks for the photos. I looked at the one on ebay.for $80. I think I might get one and try it out. To bad they don't make a bolt on. Thats alot of restriction there. Was chatting with a few guys today and said that he change it a seen a difference in power and mileage.

15. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Does this need to be custom fabbed or can you buy it off the shelf? Appreciate the info- never knew about the y pipe restriction:drinkup:

16. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

They are forsale on ebay and at www.spdperformance.com You have to cut the fanges off the factory Y pipe and weld in the new Y-pipe.

17. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

AiRhed, I take it that your mileage has increased. Ponies also? Please elaborate. I'm already getting 12-13 on the highway. Thanks.

18. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

my truck is over 8klb gvw. it doesnt need emissions only safety check.

19. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I'd be happy to elaborate. However I do not own a Ford with a 5.4. I had a Ford with a 7.3 Powerstroke, and I now have a dodge with the cummins. So I have no direct experience.

I snapped those pictures today at our local 4x4 custom shop. These guys are the do it right or not at all kind of shop. They have done custom Y-pipes on probably 70 or more superduty's with the 5.4L. From their experience the new pipe is an immediate seat of the pants improvement in power. I have no HP numbers to give you, just actual seat of the pants stuff. Which is honestly, better than just some numbers. He also has measured a significant decrease in exhaust temps, increase in exhaust flow, and some definite mileage benefits. From just the picture, it is blatantly obvious how inefficient that junction is, in my opinion, any improvement to that pipe should net some decent HP and MPG gains.

I hope this info has helped some of you guys?

20. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Thanks for the info. You are correct in saying there is an obvious restriction at the connection, am considering doing this and was looking for as much info as possible. Thanks again!