1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.4 L Hissing at 65

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by IDEALGREEN, Jun 8, 2004.

1. IDEALGREEN

IDEALGREEN Member
    from USA

Anyone else get a hissing noise from the engine while under load with the O.D. Off? It only does this under load, around 65 MPH. It sounds like an exhaust issue and performance is not affected at all from what I can tell. It's quite loud if you are next to something going down the highway. I haven't brought it to the dealer yet since it only does it under load with 6,000 - 9,000 lbs. of weight behind it. The truck is a 2003 F-250 4x4 S/C.

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

check all of your vacuum lines, just a thought, rob

3. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

I had a similar issue, it turns out it was there is a restrictor gear to control the flow of coolant to the heat core, and mine would wind up and sound like a hissing/grinding noise from the left side. Took 3 weeks to sort this out, end result was to get a larger capicity heater core. :) Ford.... It would also start making noise at 3000rpm with load or no load.

4. IDEALGREEN

IDEALGREEN Member
    from USA

Thanks to Canada

Thanks for the replies, I've had no horsepower issues and what you describe sounds exactly like what I hear. Did you get a bigger heater core? To me, FORD should be putting out a update on this as a recall. Not a safety issue but you shouldn't have to listen to that racket going down the road either. For me though, it will only do it when I have the engine under load, empty running up to 3000 R's it doesn't make a peep???? Maybe it's that darn K&N air filter I put in????

I've since purchased another F-250 with the new 6.0L diesel and boy do I love this beast! In TOW/HAUL mode, you can almost make this thing sound like they have compression brakes with the right exhaust. In Tow/haul, it actually down shifts like a stick truck....and it really saves on the brakes.

Lets hope with all the rain this year in our areas, winter plays the same game!

5. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

IDEALGREEN

Ford brought up a larger heater core from the united states and threw it in. I love being a Ford test bunny!
    To top it all off, I was getting my routine oil lube and filter change and the idiot (quality ford service technician) didn't check the clearance of the garage door and K.O.'d my blue flashers that were attached to my backrack which then in turn bent my box like a sardine can lid.

I am pissed! I am not sure what is it, but I have had nothing but problems with Ford and it's dealers. To bad I like ford trucks to much to switch... But it isn't easy....

Cheers

6. IDEALGREEN

IDEALGREEN Member
    from USA

Good God! A service garage with doors that small shouldn't even be in business! I have the same backrack you’re talking about and I can even fit in my own garage which is just standard size.

I also have have a salter control on my left side just under the dash. Anytime someone, including service tech's get in my truck, they wack their knee on it hard getting out! They come back limping every time and I think it's funny as hell!

Ford in the U.S. does very strict survey's and if the dealer consistently keeps getting poor marks, they get more and more restrictions placed upon them. I'm surprised your dealer is still in business after a stupid mistake like that.

Good luck, and find another dealer.....Service is half the truck!