1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.4 issues

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by unhcp, Feb 20, 2012.

1. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Was driving home in my 07 f250 5.4 its has 60,000 miles and the check engine came on, I pulled the codes and got p0012 and p0300. I just did all the coils and spark plugs less than 3,000 miles ago. I know it has at least 1 bad coil, I have had this issue before and it is behaving the same way, the question is the p0012. Engine seems to tick very loudly when I get around 2k rpms. The noise is mostly from the passenger side.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

3. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

2-1 it's a rod knock
  4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

How that they can be rod knock.

Most time it exhaust manifold leak.

What oil weight you use in there? What oil filter brand you use?

I hope you use 5w20 with motorcraft oil filter.
  5. unhcp

I used a fram oil filter and Valvoline SynPower 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil.

Everyone says it could be something different
    cam phasers
    cam phaser trigger wheel - f150 forum
    VCT solenoid
    Exhaust Manifold

Just don't know where to start!
  6. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

id look at the manifolds big prob with the 5.4 bolts rust off 2 grand last year for me 2 have mine drilled out
  7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Head to the dealer with your pants down and bend way over when you get there. :cry: Hope it isn't too painful a fix.
  8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen this problem before. The issue is written in the blue oval in your grille :p . The only fix for it is trailer it to the nearest Dodge or GM dealer and trade it on a new truck.

I'm just giving you a hard time. Sorry to hear of your issue, hope it isnt anything to serious.
  9. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

If your 100% sure its not an exhaust manifold leak than its probably a cam chain tensioner. Does it kind of sound like a diesel engine? best bet then would be to take it to the dealership to at least have them diagnose it. there were issues w/ the 5.4l 3v from 05-07 doing this. good luck
  10. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Year wise, its a fairly new truck. Is it possible a spark plug has worked loose. I thought that the later models (like yours) didn't have the problem with them blowing out, but if the plugs were recently changed, its possible one of the threads were damaged? Might be worth looking into before its too late.
  12. unhcp

i need to hook it up to a scan tool to see what is going on, it could be anything from a misfire problem all the way to bad cam phasers
  13. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

14. Murphy4570

Murphy4570 Member

There's one of your problems. Fram filters are absolute dogshit. Put a quality Motorcraft or Purolator filter on that truck.
  15. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

thrown rod . 2-1
  16. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

If he'd "thrown a rod," the engine wouldn't run. If you've ever seen a motor that has truly thrown one, it's not a sight you'll soon forget. Oh, and the sound it makes is more like the world coming to an end.
  17. unhcp

weird part is, the truck runs fine in park, when it is under load the problems occur looking more like bad coils or plugs
  18. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Best bet is to do the free and easy checks first- pull individual coils to see if they are producing spark. With engine cold, start it up and listen to the manifolds to see if that is where the ticking is coming from - although that generally won't throw a code. Those motors are known for cam phasers going so I'd think thats your problem.
  19. unhcp

yeah I have heard about the cam phaser problems, what I also heard was that the higher the rpms going the tick should go away, but mine gets louder. At idle there is a low tick, not worried. My problem is that when I get around 1500 - 2000 the tick is very loud.

Thing is p......... me off
  20. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

id look at the y pipe 2