1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.4 Exhaust Manifold Bolts revisited

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by shovelracer, Dec 23, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Ok here we go again. My non Cali emissions 04 f250 5.4L has both exhaust manifolds needing fixing. I am under the impression that non cali vehicles are 5/50 and cali are 7/70 warranty on this part. I went in the other day to inquire about the issue with milage 49960. The guy behind the counter told me there is no TSB (BS) and that it isnt covered. Sold me $400 worth of parts. I was ready to do the job tomorrow and decided to look a little harder. I now know that the warranty is 5/50 or possibly even 7/70, but now I am at 50030. I am going straight there in the morning and raising something. They must buy back my parts at full rate, and repair under warranty if they ever want to get my business again. The reason for this post is to vent and also to put out the name of the dealer which I will do as soon as I get there response. They are the only ford dealer in the county so they get a ton of business. Im a little ticked.

2. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

These parts are not warrantied. I had the same problem on mine, and let me guess it was the passenger side rear cylinder? Take your parts back too and just go the hardware store and get stainless bolts. The studs that are in there are steel and the head is aluminum so they dissipate heat differently and rust so the heads break off the studs. Me and a buddy that has a stud extractor did all 8 of mine in a Saturday afternoon. Go get new exhaust gaskets and stainless bolts, take off the manifolds, clean 'em with a wire wheel, install gaskets, put never seize on your bolts, then torque down. I had about $20-$30 in parts when I did mine, compared to the $650 the dealer wanted ($1200 if they had to drill and tap the heads while removed from truck). Oh and by the way Ford knows all about this because they have a "repair kit" for it, they pulled that no TSB or recall **** with me too. All I can say is "F" the big three and "F" their bailout.

3. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

My dealer replaced them on my '04 under the emissions warranty. The regular warranty was up.

4. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Went in today and talked to the service manager. He claimed no TSB on the issue. I gave him the number and he said "Oh look at that". He basically told me that he wasnt going to do it unless he was getting paid. That means that I am taking the truck in on Monday so they can "inspect" it, take photos, and then send them to the rep. Only after he gets back from vacation after the new year will he make a decision about whether or not they should warranty the part or not. He muttered under his breath that I am entitled to the repair, but this was immediately followed by him stating that If the manifold is defective than its OK, If the bolts "rusted" than it is not. Seems like a bunch of garbage to me. He was nice and worked with me a little, but I am not happy that something that they knew about less than 1 year after they manufactured the vehicle is now questionable. Doesnt look good right now, but I will wait and see. If they reject the warranty I will fight it on principle. As it is Im already pretty sure I wont buy another ford.