1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.3L v8?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Lil'PlowinMan93, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Lil'PlowinMan93

Lil'PlowinMan93 Senior Member

How many miles can i expect out of this motor? There is a 2000 1500 4x4 in my area with this motor an 98,000 miles on it.

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

That all depends on you to be quite honest. Mostly depends on maintnance and abuse.... I beat my 5.0 and it still runs strong.... just rolled 200k on it 2 weeks ago.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 5.3's are a great engine and with proper service can go 200,000 no problem without a major issue. They do tend to get a little noisier as they accumulate miles but it doesn't affect their reliability.

4. brianbora1

brianbora1 Member

161,+++ miles and running strong! Very good motor!

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

My friend has one with 170k on it. Sounds just like the day he bought it new.

6. nv_my_z71

nv_my_z71 Member

I have 182,000 knock on wood runs great and never replaced a damn thing

7. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Friend has 260,000 not a problem with it . I have a 4.8l pretty much same motor with 216,000 only thing on motor was knock sensor at 180,000.

8. mcginner

mcginner Junior Member

My friend need all of the left valve bank replaced on his 5.3L at around 150,000km not miles. It was covered by warranty because he bought the truck used from the dealership with a warranty. The dealer gave him a hard over it saying he was doing the oil changes on time. He had done 5 oil changes on from the time he bought it every 5000km as per regular schedule not to the oil life change light.
    I would think the old owners of the truck were to blame for improper maintenance.
    It is a good engine just like every other engine out there if it is taken care of.