1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

5.3 plowing?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cory5.3, Sep 13, 2011.

1. cory5.3

cory5.3 Junior Member
    from mass

hey i have a 2003 ext cab gmc 1500 i was wondering how it would do with a plow on it, it has the 5.3 engine i plan on possibly working with a company get some good hours in. thanks for the help

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

My 99 with the 5.3 pushes just fine, mine has the 373 gears though.

3. cory5.3

cory5.3 Junior Member
    from mass

ya i got the 3:73 too i was just wondering how much of a beating it would put on my truck(its my daily driver) i plan on working for a local company. what kind of plow setup do you have?

4. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

how much are you going to plow?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

It will take a good beating, even 3/4 tons do. Dont get me wrong, if you're patient and gentle, the truck wont tear itself apart. But plowing is hard on any vehicle. Front ends wont last nearly as long, transmissions generally take a good amount of extra abuse from plowing, rear ends can fail prematurely, transfer cases can take extra wear.

i'm not trying to sway you, that truck will honestly plow great. Just be ready for the all around maintenance that comes with plowing.

6. cory5.3

cory5.3 Junior Member
    from mass

thats good to know i live in mass so i cant really tell you how much plowing id do our weather is more than impossible to predict. now as far as plows go i know that fisher makes the 1/2 ton plows anyone no what plow would be right for me?

7. Thomas.Creation

Thomas.Creation Member

I have a 1500 99 extended cab z71 with a 5.3. Been plowing with this one for the last two seasons. Plows like a tank. You'll want to turn the torsion bars up a bit. I have a 7 1/2' Myers with a tailgate spreader. Keep the front end lubed up and the fluids fresh and you won’t have any problems unless you drive like a jack whole. I’m adding a Daniels pull plow this year! Some might say that’s too much but I’ve had similar setups and never had an issue. Its all in your driving style. Good luck.

8. cory5.3

cory5.3 Junior Member
    from mass

i assume a truck leveling kit will also help

9. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Go with a Fisher 7 1/2 RD with the Insta Act system, in Mass. they are very common and parts are always available, stay away from the Fisher SD and the Fisher Homesteader, also I think the RD is much better than the new HT plows. Good luck.