1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bobcat s-160, Mar 23, 2007.

1. bobcat s-160

bobcat s-160 Senior Member
    from MI

Hey, Can you go threw more snow in 4x4 high or low? If you get stuck do you have a better chance of getting out in 4x4 low or high?????????????

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

It depends how fat you want to go. 4 low is meant for speeds upto about 25 MPH I think. 4 wheel low will allow you to go through more snow and also you are more likely to get unstuck in 4 low. If you arte really stuck and have an auto tranny 4 low and drive 1 is the best you can do to get unstuck. After that it's time for a tow.

3. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Depends what your stuck in or on. If you have solid footing underneath the tires like blacktop or frozen ground usually you're better off trying to keep wheelspin to a minimum. If it's soft many times you gotta spin the tires fast and 4 lo 1st gear won't do the job. You'll scream the motor but the tires don't turn fast enough to clean the tread out. You need the trans to shift up into 3rd or 4th if you have the motor to do it. Unless you have traction 4 lo 1st gear is useless. Most trucks could push a house over in 4 lo 1st gear if they have good traction. What you really should ask yourself is A) Do I need to drive this truck to make a living before I beat the snot out of it. B) Do I have the money socked away to repair torn up driveline parts.:help: Happy Motoring:)

4. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

the only time you really need 4 low is to keep the engine from getting bogged down. i dont think you will really be able to go threw more snow in 1 or the other because if you get high centered you are stuck anyways. but if you are not high centered i use 4 high to spin the tires fast enough to clean the tread this goes for snow and mud.

5. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

The way you ask, it's as if you plan on getting stuck. There are so many variables tires, motor , weight, type of snow,ect. If your in deep snow don't spin, you want to stay on top. If you got the ground clearance then let em spin.

6. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

4-Low will also steady the RPMs of the tires because the ratio of engine RPM and tire RPM are closer in low range, so the tires will move steady and not slip as easy. 4-Low is mainly used to get more torque out of the engine through gear reduction. This is so that you can push and tow things without bogging down the engine.

7. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Well when we had the 3/16 to 3/17 storm here in MA. I was plowing a very large parking and I was pushing all of the snow in to one coner of the lot. And the pile was about as high as the roof of the truck (06 F-250 8' minute mount 2). So I decied to plow thru the middle of the pile. And well I made it thru and knock the pile down, but I got stuck. So I tried useing 4x4 Low to get out but it seemed to me that the wheels would spin once I gave it a little gas. So I popped it back into 4x4 HI and rocked it for a minute or two and the truck came right out.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Getting stuck on the pile is why I take a pointed garden shovel with me. You dig yourself out if stuck that bad. Four low is not going to help if your spinning tires with no traction. The only time I ever used 4 low was when I had a little Bronco II. It needed the RPM to keep the charging and cooling at the right spot. The limited speed of 4x4 low would drive me nuts in my truck I have now. You could never do a quick burst and brake. It would all be at the same steady speed.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Use 4-high and a little momentum.

If you still have traction and your truck is bogging down in 1st gear then try 4-low and drive or 2nd gear. If you need to use low range and 1st gear and you still have traction go easy with the throttle. If you are spinning the wheels and they should gain traction you run the risk of damaging the drive train.

4-low is for slow going, heavy loads, steep hills & trails ( or bird hunting but that is another story) If you are bogging down in high range and 1st. then shift in to low range.

It is easy to spin the tires if you get stuck and use 4-low, you are going to spin the tires, this is no good.
    Use 4-high and slowly rock the vehicle do not spin the tires. Apply the throttle slowly and walk out. Tire spin is the result of lost traction.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Some events you just can't angle and sweep the snow. No matter how much power you have, you can't push the pile. Four low is not going to make a difference. You will reach a point where you just can't push the pile any farther.Make smaller cuts on the snow. It takes longer but trying to muscle the stuff even takes longer then that. You may have wings but you are at the mercy of traction.