1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 ???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Foxfire, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Hi everyone, I have a 2001 F-250 super duty, My 4x4 is the type that you turn the button, The problem is that when I turn the knob sometimes it goes in and sometimes it doesnt. Same goes for 4 low range:help:

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Buttons are nice till the motor that shifts the case starts going bad or jambs up. Probably needs lubed or maybe some bad wiring. I prefer the old manual lever.

3. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Gosh dangit....I also have the "shift-on-the-fly" 4x4 button and I KNEW I should have gone with the lever. If I had my choice, I would of, but the dealer could only locate the vehicle I wanted with this option.

I'm sorry to hear about the problem. How many miles do you have on it? V8 or bigger? Just curious. Hopefully, it's as simple as some oil and lubricant.

Let us know what happens.

4. MickiRig1

Hopefully it does need lubed and not new parts. That new a truck they will get a pretty penny for the motor assembly. (Think Dealer Part Only!)Could be the switch / wiring / connectors, i would think if the motor is having problems it would just quit working. If your able try carefully unplugging the wires on the shift motor and see if the connector's all corroded. Clean it up and put dielectric grease in the plug and on the spades of the motor connection and put it back together.
    Look for other connectors in the wiring and do the same to them.

5. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

4x4

Thanks guys, I will try that saturday, As for the miles it only has 39,000 !!! The motor is a 5.4

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  6. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Shiza!! Let us know how things turn out. You just described my truck in about 4 years.

7. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

is the light coming on?

my truck's auto hubs were not functioning, took them apart- real easy- cleaned them and they have been fine since, when they do go bad Ill probably just put some Warn hubs on there

8. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

My 4x4

My F-250 has manual locking hubs, I unpluged from transfer case and put some dieletric grease on there and now it works just fine !!! Thanks guys

9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Hey Foxfire are you still interested in the Meyers plow blade that I have for sale? In Madison. F250man

10. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Maybe !!!

I would like to come and check it out, Where in madison do you live? I have a cousin that lives on lakeshore off dock rd.

11. MickiRig1

Once again dielectric grease saves someones butt!