1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 ??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by lonlyknight, Nov 19, 2013.

1. lonlyknight

lonlyknight Junior Member
    from ohio

have a question for some one i have a 01 f250 4 door 4x4 SD w/5.4 4x4c switch with lockout hubs. this is my first 4x4 and i have seen where i can put the truck into (P) and turn the switch and some times goes into 4x4 and other times i put it in (N) i can switch from 4H to 4L and do here the clunk and then at times when i switch it no lights come on the dash and i dont hear anything. i turn the truck off and do it again and it will work right?. could this be the switch on the dash or something else?. when i got the truck the PO dropped in another motor with around 80k and the trany was rebuilt and has arould 30k on it.. when i had the truck on a lift every thing looks very good and also very clean..

so any input would be very helpful thank you.

also the truck has larger tires i beleave there 285/75/16 and when i put the Meyers plow mount on her granted the truck doesnt drop any maybe 2 inches but i wounder if i am going to need more weight in the bed.

2. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

For the 4 wheel drive... If you switch from 2H to 4H or back, it may not switch immediately if you're not moving. Drive a few feet, I'll bet it goes. Sometimes its very smooth and you won't notice it. Switching from 4H to 4L or back, you should be stopped and transmission in neutral. The truck won't switch over until you're in neutral as a safety precaution. The auto/manual hubs on these trucks are also prone to stop working automatically, but that won't affect the shifting of your transfer case.

As for weight in the bed, you should always plow with weight in the bed. Unless I'm mistaken, most plow manufactures will specify how much weight to use based on the plow and truck types. I think most recommend at least 500 lbs. I carry a minimum of 600 lbs with an empty spreader and up to 2400lbs loaded. Most importantly, the load MUST be secure and can't shift around causing a hazard.