1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 wont come out

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Oct 6, 2011.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

im stuck in 4x4 once i conect the acturater in the front end. is it internally shorting out, bad conection or could it be something in the truck wiring itself?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's floor shifted connecting the actuator plug can't cause it to be stuck in 4WD. Believe what you mean is just the actuator itself is always engaged when it's plugged in- in which case the switch on the T-case that powers the actuator is stuck in the 'on' position. Happens sometimes and it's easily purchased and replaced.

3. the new boss 92

where is the switch on the transfercase located? im thinking it might be just stuck cause no matter where you put the floor shifter its still in 4x4, light is on and all

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's located on top on the driver side, right above the shift lever on the side of the T-case. It will be the only electrical switch there threaded directly into the T-case.

When you remove it you'll likely find the ball on the bottom of it is stuck up inside the switch. That's what keeps the actuator engaged regardless of whether the T-case is actually in a 4X4 position or not.

[​IMG]

5. the new boss 92

so i crawled under there today and found the sensor. however i found out some one disconected the wires on it and did some jerry rigging so i doesnt come out of 4x4( x farm truck if that says anything). now my next question would be if i get a new pigtail what wires do i cut and reconnect so the sensor opperates again?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on what all is cut and what they did. Should be a brown wire supplying ignition voltage into the switch and a light blue sending it out to the actuator when the switch is activated. May or may not also be a black/white depending on how many terminals are actually in the switch. Some only had two and others had three.

It could be properly repaired with a test light, some checks and wiring diagram in front of you.

7. the new boss 92

i only have 2 termanials, they looped a wire and the other is just hanging there. there was a tan wire and a black one. the tan one is looped right now and the black on is just hanging there.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Get your trusty test light out and print this diagram off and it shouldn't take too much to see what they hacked and what needs repaired. I left the pic full size so it's easier to read.

[​IMG]

9. EquityGreen

EquityGreen Member

B&B would you email me about some gussets please. I don't have enough posts to pm you. I have 2 05 gmcs and a 07 gmc. Equitygreen@hotmail.com
    Thanks,
    James

10. the new boss 92

thanks b&b for the diagram im gonna mess with it right now and ill report back to you.

11. the new boss 92

well i got it figured out, plugged the sensor back in and nothing. so assuming the sensor is bad im going to replace it down the road before winter and see whats going on after that.

12. the new boss 92

whats the correct name for the sensor?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's not a sensor but a switch, and it's refereed to a transfer case select switch. GM p/n 15582030 or NAPA p/n BK6002939 or Dorman p/n 600-506 (available about anywhere) depending on where you like to shop.

14. the new boss 92

Thanks again b&b