1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 truck headers?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Dec 29, 2009.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

whats the best pair of shorty headers that arent going to burn a hole in my pocket and that work good?

2. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I purchased a set of Edelbrock Ti Tech coated shorty headers about a year and a half ago for my 85 Chevy, but are not cheap, price was over $500 but I didn't want to waste money on a cheap set and then have to replace.

The Edelbrock shorty's are a direct replacement for the stock manifolds, they have heavy duty flanges, great fit and the truck ran quieter with the headers than with the stock manifolds, Go figure.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

4. the new boss 92

thanks guys my manifolds on my truck a shot with 316xxx miles and they need to get replaced. does any one else have any suggestions?

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

DONT BUY CHEEP ! ! ! trust me as a mechanic. :nod:

6. chp

chp Junior Member

Gibson shorty header are a good choice, exellent fit good durability .Do not by pacer headers, welds interfear with bolts and tubes are to close to spark plugs. You have to run plug wire insulators or risk buring your wires

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

100% true!!! Stick with the ones I showed you, or hedman, hooker, dynatech, gibson, borla. Any one of those are very good name brand and will have a good warranty as well. Im sure I missed a couple of course. Just do yourself the favor and get ceramic!!!! I have painted ones on my Blazer and they are flaking off already. I will be getting them ceramic coated come spring. The ones on the truck have seen alot of salt already and still look the same as when they came new out of the box. Do your self a favor and get the Percy's dead soft aluminum gaskets. They are 100x better than the junk paper crap that comes with the headers. And they wont blow out. Also get the stage 8 locking header bolts. Otherwise the bolts will back themselves out and cause a leak. You will be under the hood alot re-torquing them. The stage 8s lock against the header tube and wont come loose. I have them on the truck and blazer. It will cost you a lil extra in the beginning, but you will save alot of hassle and wasted $$$ in the long run!!

8. the new boss 92

thanks alot guys, im trying to stay under 400 buxs all said and done and i deff dont wanna cheap out because this is my daily drive and plow rig and if something breaks then i get fed

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

400 ?

not good and installed for that.

if you install your self and get a smokin deal mabye close to that.

and fyi most headers dont give you new down pipe gaskets. thay are best got at the dealer.

i have installed gibson before good fit and finish no problems.

start watchin ebay if you want good and cheep.

10. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Summit racing.

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Don't bother with plain steel if you are plowing/salting with the truck. Stick to ceramic or stainless. I picked up a set of stainless steel headers (brand I'd never heard of, OBX or something...) on ebay for around $250. I know they carried them for about the same for your year range. Install them yourself if you can. Fit very well in my truck.

So far, they are a little discoloured from the heat (blue) but I'm not surprised. Otherwise they are spotless.. but this is their first winter out. I don't think they will be a problem.

12. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

good v8 headers where...

happy snowyear to ya.here mite be another idea to source to find a good used/new set of exh. headers...mite try www.racingjunk.com there quite a few exh.headers on there for reasonable price n maybe you,ll find 1 local in your area...have good snowyday..