1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4X4 Transfer Case Replacement

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DeereFarmer, Mar 28, 2006.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I am looking at a 1986 Chevy Silverado 4x4... yeah, I know. It is priced right and runs perfect. Litle rust here and there, but will do what I need it to do. The only thing it needs is a 4x4 tranfer case. Before I consider buying it any further, about what would this cost me to have replaced. If it is too much, bye bye truck. The guy said that it was $50, but yeah right. Maybe I should just hand him an extra $50 and have him get it fixed!

2. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

I wouldn't let the transfer case stop you. It will be more than 50 bucks but any junkyard should have one for you.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What model of T-case does it have?
    What does he say is wrong with the T-case?

For a $50 fix it sounds like it needs a new chain-belt.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  4. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

I'll bet it is the NP 203. available everywhere.

5. DeereFarmer

I am pretty sure that PSDF350 is correct in saying that it is the NP 203. All he said is that it works great in 2wd, but it will not engage into 4wd, whatever he means by that. I haven't gone to see the truck yet, but I have no clue about transfer cases.

6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Like I said if all else is good buy the truck. Transfer case is a easy fix. Not that expensive either.

7. DeereFarmer

Sounds good. We'll see what the truck really is like!

8. DeereFarmer

OK, got a little more clarification on this. He said that the back two wheels spin at the same time (locked I would think), but the front do not. That is all that he knows. Would that indeed be the transfer case? If that is all it is that truck might be mine by this time tomorrow!

9. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

4x4 just might actually work. The way it sounds he is thinking that 4x4 means all 4 wheels spin. That is not the case. That is only true if both front and back differentials have lockers. The back could have either a locker or limited slip differential. And front is a open differential. I would go look at it.

10. DeereFarmer

See, that is exactly what I was thinking. This guy is a white collar that lives about 10 minutes up the road from me. The locked rear end is great, but it wouldn't bother me if the front was not locked. At any case, I am going to have a look at it tonight and hopefully bring it back home and give it a once over. He is only asking $450 for it which on one hand makes me worried, but on the other hand gives me some wiggle room for problems. I am going to be using this as a farm, beater, mudder, and back up plow truck, so it does not need to be perfect!

11. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Good luck.......

12. DeereFarmer

Well, went to go see it today and the transfer case was the least of the truck's problems. I know, what do you expect for $450, but at the same time I expected a little more. Get ready for some laughs: I won't even get into the little things because there are just so many, but the guy on the phone said it would pass inspection with MINIMAL work. Well, there were patch panels everywhere which is fine for what I need, the only problem was they were attached with clear duct tape... about 15 of them. There was no ignition... you had to hot wire it. The dash lights never went off, so they battery dies over night. There was oil leaking out of the pan at about a quart an hour. There must be no brakes because all the fluid was on the ground. When they re-spray painted the truck, they forgot to cover the driver side window, so it had a nice black gritty tint to it. The passenger side door did not open, I mean at all. The bed was more than half rotted away all the way through the bed frame rails. The gas tank had a steady seep, but it was rapped in saran rap and duct tape. The rockers were gone, I mean not there and you could see through the floorboards on both sides, but they were covered up with some high quality plywood. Finally, underneath the cab there were four rot holes in the frame about 6-8 inches wide. I wouldn't even sit in the thing. The guy asked if I wanted to run it, but I thought it would be best not to as it would blow up. Needless to say it was junk. The plow was good, the tires were near new, the windshield was fine, and there were two light lenses that were not smashed out. The guy was at least upfront when I got there... kind of hard to miss everything. Oh well, the search resumes!

13. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Actually still might be worth buying. Plow if good is worth the money. Then you could take axles out and save or sell. Could also sell the tires, or again save. Then have someone come take it away. Could even take the winsheild out and sell it too. Might even make something of the scrap metal. Steel prices are high. Not to mention tranny, transfer case and Motor too.

14. DeereFarmer

I thought about parting it out, but just don't have the time. I know the plow alone was worth the $450 and that with time the truck would be great for lot plowing, but I just don't need it. Too much duct tape anyway!:rolleyes:

15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

BTW, just a quick note, you do not want a locked front end for plowing. If you have a ltd slip/locker in the rear and lock the front on slippery stuff the result is usually LESS traction and more side slipping. Always leave the front ends unlocked (stock) for plowing.

16. DeereFarmer

Yeah, my buddy has dual lockers ona his Jeep Wrangler and it is great in thick mud, but wet slippery snow... no way!

17. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

If it's a 1/2 or 3/4 ton it will have the NP208, 1 tons had the 205.
    I want to say 79 was the last year of the 203.