1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 tranfer case problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Joker_BAM1, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Joker_BAM1

Joker_BAM1 Junior Member

I have an 88 Chevy Silverado. Lately, when I shift it into 4 wheel drive hi the light will come on but it won't engage into 4 wheel drive. I can play around with it by shifting in and out and eventually it will start to work. Once it is on, it works fine till I turn it off andI try to engage it again. When I shift it into 4 lo, it work everytime with out a problem.

I have read several post on the forum that makes me think it's my actuator but I am not sure. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Is this a floor lever shifter or push button?

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Gotta be floor shift as they didn't have push button until '95. Joker,when you say the 4X4 light illuminates do you mean the one in the shifter console or does your truck have one in the gage display?

4. Joker_BAM1

Joker_BAM1 Junior Member

It is the light on the shifter console on the floor.

5. R&R Repair

R&R Repair Junior Member

Does that truck have the electric front axle engage or the vacuum system? If it's the vacuum system check the ball valve on the transfer case or the actuator on the fender well.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The full size truck's are electric,they don't use the vacuum controlled front axle like the S-10's and Blazer's. Joker,the first thing you want to check is to see if the T-case is actually engaging when you pull it in to 4hi.Jack the front of the truck up until the front wheel's are off the ground,then pull the T-case into 4hi while leaving the transmission in park.Now crawl under the truck and try to turn the front drive shaft.Can you turn it? If you can, then the T-case is not engaged and your problem is with the T-case, not the front axle.

7. Joker_BAM1

Joker_BAM1 Junior Member

Thanks, I will try that and let you know. Is there any reason why I can eventually get it to work and then it runs fine? It seem to try and engage at the transfer case it just doesn't hook up the front axle right away like it used to. Thanks for all the help.

8. Joker_BAM1

Joker_BAM1 Junior Member

Another thought, why would 4 lo work everytime without any problem? My problem is with 4 hi only? Thanks.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Usually when you have one position that works fine(4lo) but not the other(4hi) it's normally a problem in the T-case.That why you need to see if the drive shaft will turn by hand with the T-case in 4hi. Whether you can turn the front drive shaft or not will tell you immediately if the T-case is actually engaged or not. Another thing that makes me believe that you might have a problem in the T-case is that you said even when it won't engage in 4hi your 4X4 light comes on.The switch for the 4X4 light is on the front axle and won't switch the light on unless the actuator is engaged,so I think the actuator is working fine.

10. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

There is a little switch on the tranfer case--has two wires going to it--I believe one is pink the other is brown-- it is a spring loaded ball-- sometimes over the years this switch gets gunked up-- replace it or clean it---- $15 bucks at the dealer-- this should help-- if this doesn't help--the actuator is acting goofy on you(front axle)-- replace this-$130 dealer and they should also give you an upgraded wire harness from actuator to that switch. Mostlikely it's the switch-- best of luck!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  11. Joker_BAM1

Joker_BAM1 Junior Member

Thanks for all your help.

12. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

what year did GMC get the push button, the reason im asking is because my dads 96 GMC suburban has the floor shift transfer case....

13. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Floor shift is still available today. Usually only seen on base models, but can be ordered on other models...

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The first year for the optional push button 4X4 was in '95 when they changed the dash and added the airbags.