1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 strange noise please help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by pongow26, Dec 23, 2008.

1. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

I just got a diffrent plow truck and it is make a noticable clunk when I go from 4hi to 4lo. I have a 98 Z71 1500. I am not too familar with chevy trucks and wondered if that was normal. Once in 4lo it seems to plow just fine no problems. It just seems to lock in hard. It makes the same noise when I go from 4lo to 4hi as well. I just had the transfer case, front drive shaft and all ujoints changed as well. Anyone else have the same noise?

FLASHMAN Member

I have a '98 K1500. same thing... Normal that's just the transfer case locking into the lower ratio. I am a little curious though, do you plow in 4 lo all the time? if so, why?
  3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

...I don't think my truck will even shift into 4low. It has electronic shift and when i press 4low the light just blinks and never goes solid. Idk, its in the shop now.
  4. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

This may be a dumb question but... You are putting the truck in neutral then putting into 4lo right? If not all you will get is the flashing light.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes mine seems to shift into LO easier and smoother if i let the truck roll slowly in neutral and push the button.
  6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

no im not in N but im stopped. maybe thats my problem, its in the shop for other stuff though, i told him to just look at that. My check 4wd light was on and a door is broken.
  7. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Yes I do because it is easier on the transmission. Although, I jus recently started doing this and my local 4x4 shop told me so. I tend to believe them since they sell alot of plows. It uses less rpms yet gives the same pushing power I think
  8. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

The 4wheel LO will not engage without the transmission in Neutral.
  9. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

You HAVE to have the tranny in neutral for the truck to go into 4lo. 4hi is shift on the fly.