1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 sound?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by oakhill2000, Mar 11, 2003.

1. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

I have a 96 GMC 2500HD. It has been making a kind of a repetative grinding noise in the front when in 4 wheel drive. It gets faster as you go faster and it won't do it all the time unless I just don't notice it. And when you go fast enough I can't notice it at all and everything still works fine. Anyone know what it might be?
  2. chevy

chevy Member

It sounds like a bearing ready to lunch itself. Check for anything rubbing or maybe stuck behind the rotor splash plate. It sounds more like the sounds a bearing starting to go south. Jack it up on all fours and listen to see wear it might come from. Of course this is slightly hazards to the health. But listen really close to it cause more than none it makes only this sound when there is probly a load on it. Unless its really bad GOOD LUCK
  3. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

I havn't tried it without the plow so it may be just with a load. I am going to have it checked out soon I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was dangerous. I shouldn't need the 4x4 much more anyway. I don't want any more snow!
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

If it only happens in 4WD,then it has to be something related to the 4WD system.If it was a wheel bearing or something it would do it in 2WD too.

Maybe a dry u-joint in the front driveshaft,or a CV going bad ?
  5. chevy

chevy Member

The bearings I was referring to was the ones in the meatball or the pinion. There are more bearings than wheel bearings, but I guess you already know this. Right chief.:rolleyes:
  6. Willie

Willie Member

Sounds to me like a problem with the transfer case.
  7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

On my 98 that sound turned out to be the front driveshaft. Also the shifting fork in the t cases are known to wear out, and you have to replace that. However the t case issue usally does not result in a grinding noise,but it can lead on to believe that you have a bad tranny. I would start with the front driveshaft.