1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4X4 shuts off?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Derek83, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Derek83

Derek83 Junior Member

I plow with 97 dodge 1500 short box it works great, but when I go over 25 mph (driving down the road) it cuts out on me but if I let up on the gas it clicks back in.:confused:

2. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

Its probably one of the vacume lines. I just had to replace one on my 97 Ram.

3. Derek83

Derek83 Junior Member

I looked at them and they seemed to be ok? what one did you replace?

4. Derek83

Derek83 Junior Member

Anyone have any other ideas?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's an inline check valve in the vacuum line that runs from the T-case switch up to the engine that supply's the system with vacuum. When the check valve goes bad the vacuum drops off when you accelerate, thus allowing the axle actuator to disengage, when you ease up on the throttle and the vacuum comes back, so does your 4X4.

The check valve is bad.

6. Derek83

Derek83 Junior Member

Thanks alot I will try that:):)

7. earl ohio

earl ohio Junior Member

did checkvalve fix? mine is doing this after i put in reverse and start to backup. i looked at lines and replaced accuator. where is chack valve? mine is 95 1500 with 318:realmad:

8. zutecht

zutecht Junior Member

make sure you follow the lines back to the t-case and make sure all of your lines are secure and in place.... i had the same problem with ice build up were the steel lines met the rubber lins.. its trial and error guys dont over think try the simple stuff!!

9. benz2329

benz2329 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I recently purchased a 96 dodge ram 1500, and I need to replace the vacuum lines and the accuator. Any idea how much it's going to run me if i took it to a local garage?