1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 shift problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by redneck farmer, Jan 27, 2010.

1. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

I got a 2004 F-350 powerstroke with the electronic shift on the fly (ESOF) and the auto locking hubs. The last storm I noticed it did not seem like the hubs locked in once of twice, but that is not the real problem. I noticed when I was changing the oil the other day the front driveshift was locked in and not turning freely when the ESOF switch was turned to 2 wheel drive (the 4x4 light was not one either). I confrirmed with my wife driving the truck the front driveshaft was turning and locked in. I checked to see if the motor was working by switching the ESOF knob back and forth between 2 and 4 wheel drive and I can hear it engaging and disengaging. I did get under the truck and tried to turn the front driveshaft and it did free up, but when I shifted it back into 4x4 and back out again the driveshaft was locked in again. It appears something is not disengaging full, has anyone else had any problems like this?
  2. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

i thought that was happening the other night when i was out plowing but i was using a company gmc so it didn't surprise me
  3. OH350Crew

OH350Crew Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I believe the system is activated by vacuum actuator that operates a transfer case motor so start there,
  4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Actually, the hubs use vacuum to actuate. The Transfer Case is shifted by an electric motor.
  5. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

the ujoints on the axle take sometimes up to a minute to disengage. does the light on the dash go off?
  6. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Universal joints do not engage and / or disengage. Hubs do that - and yes - they sometimes take a bit of time to engage or disengage.