1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by icemancometh, Jan 1, 2010.

1. icemancometh

icemancometh Junior Member

need some help.
    1995 ford f150 4x4 5.0 4aod borg warner transfer case
    the 4 wheel drive shifter has been stiff since i bought the truck, i snapped the aluminum
    lever that engages the 4 wheel climbed under and manually engaged the only gear i could
    find on the side of the road was 4 low i was only about a mile from home drove slow
    went to the junk yard the next day and replaced the lever .

now when i go over about 15mph in 4x4 it disengages and engages while moving making the truck lurch and not good for it at all.

I have been able to plow with it by driving to the customer in 2 wheel then put in 4 wheel and it works fine even pushing heavy snow with no problems.
    any ideas?
    i don't know where to start to look if it can push heavy snow why would it disengage at any speed over 15 mph.
    lockers?
    transfer case?
    front differential?
    Thanks Jr:cry:

2. icemancometh

Got it fixed thanks Jr

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

What was the problem?

4. icemancometh

the c clip/pin that holds the wheel nut on came loose and the wheel nut backed off enough
    so that while driving the locker would unlock then lock.

Last January I replaced the passenger side axle joint and put a manual locker on
    plowed the rest of the season last year , used the truck for lawn care biz all summer and
    had it out plowing about half a dozen times this year.
    it stayed in all that time then came loose weird.
    reseated it today and the 4x4 works fine.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Thanks for the info.