1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Bruno, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Bruno

Bruno Member

I drive a 2004 f350 with 6.0. I shut the truck off last night and left in 4 wheel drive. When I started it the next morning I switched to 2 wheel and left the house to do a friend a favor and plow his driveway. When I got there I switched over to 4x4 but it doesn’t seem to be engaging. When I switch over to 4x4 with the electronic switch on the dash the light marked 4x4 comes on but the front wheels are not spinning. If I put the truck into 4x4 low it does engage the low gear but still only the rear wheel s spin. My hubs are marked manual and auto and its on auto. I have never had to put them on manual as the electronic switch has always worked. Any ideas?? I
  2. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Does your heater still work or does it only blow out the defrost?

My guess would be a vacuum leak is not allowing the hubs to engage......heat only blows out the defrost at the same time.

I'd check the vacuum lines going to the hubs first to make sure they are still attached and not cracked.
  3. Bruno

Bruno Member

there is something i would like to add. I went out and switched the hubs over to lock and the 4x4 works.
  4. Bruno

Bruno Member

Ya i tried that and the heat switches over from the bottom to the top no problem.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

There are a few good aftermarket manual locking hubs you can put on. Warn and Milemarker to name a few.