1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by gump, Dec 2, 2008.

1. gump

gump Member

I have a 96 chevy one ton dump 4x4 works but when I go down the road in 4H it really starts to whine at about 40 it gets louder as I let off the gas any ideas. thanks gump
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Start with checking the fluid levels in both the T-case and front diff..

The NP241 T-cases are well known for their fluid to "mysteriously" disappear, and will get noisy when run even a little low.

Some noise is considered "normal" but it shouldn't be excessive.

Hope your not driving it on dry pavement.
  3. gump

gump Member

nope not running on dry pavement. checked the transfer case fluid its good. I will go out and check the diff. the noise is excessive. but only when going down the road at higher speed. what kind of fluid goes in the diff in case I find that it is low. Thanks gump
  4. gump

gump Member

well check the diff fluid is was very low. I added two quarts, Hopefully that was the problem. I do have another question and that is what would cause the brake fluid to get so hot that it shrunk the gasket and warped the the plastic lid.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I also hope it didn't hurt itself...because they only hold barely 3 qts to begin with...

Warped the lid? :eek:
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do your tires match, front a rear? Are they properly inflated? If not, you could be loading up the driveline.
  7. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

If your front diff was that low i would drain it and refill with fresh 80/90 or even
    They are easy to drain,i would just want to be sure there was nothing nasty in there if it was that low and making that kind of noise.
    Did the noise lessen after you filled it back up?
    Are your axle seals leaking or is the vent plugged?