1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4X4 Problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cja1987, Sep 18, 2004.

1. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Hello all,
    Was out in my brothers jeep cherokee today, i had it in 4H on the side roads as it was raining hard and traction was unusually poor for just plain rain. Never exceeded 35 in 4X4. I get on the highway in 2wd and drive a few exits at about 60 MPH. Get off at the exit put it in 4H again. I pull in the parking lot at my destination and as i go to make a hard right into the space the jeep started lurching and rocking back and forth until it stopped and would no longer move until i straightened out the wheel. So i back up and drive around the parking lot to see what happens. Everytime i turn hard it starts to rock. Put it in 2wd did the same and the truck behaved normally again. I will try it again later today, i can't remember if i put it in 4H before or after i pulled out of my driveway which would have required a sharp turn to the left. Iam inclined to say it happend recently but iam not sure. Anybody have any ideas as to what might be happening? I can't look at it now its raining too much but nothing obvious to me anyways. We got it less then a month ago so whatever it is will be fixed under a 30 day warrenty. Not a big deal as its driveable but 4X4 can't be out of order when a small plow is on it this winter.
    Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

This sounds like a normal reaction for a part time 4wd system when in 4wd and on good pavement. Rain should not cause enough slippage to need 4wd if tires are not hydroplaning..

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Ditto

You shouldn't need 4 wheel drive in the rain.

4. cja1987

Thank you very much for the info, do you think it would behave the same on a street that has been plowed down to pavement? I can only imagine what a pain it would be turning off a cleared/salted road and into a driveway to drop the plow. Id probley have to engage 4X4 each time and disengage when finished. Iam not used to this but i won't be plowing with it much anyways. Normally if i use 4X4 in the rain it will just be if i have to pull into traffic quickly without spinning the tires or skidding on the wet pavement as i turn. Afterwards it goes right into 2wd.

5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

My rule to my drivers are that 4wd is not to be used during plowing unless needed, such as back dragging loading docks and such. The truck is usually on the plowed surface and each truck has 800 lbs of ballast plus starts with a skid of salt(2500lbs).

6. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Yea....why in the world would you use 4wd to drive in the rain? Is traction really that bad? Does the truck need new tires? And why in the world would you make a sharp turn with a vehicle in 4wd and expect nothing to happen? All 4 wheels are trying to move at the same speed at the same time. My wifes Expedition is all wheel drive and it turns funny even at slow speeds pulling into a parking spot. ( funny as in being able to tell it's not just a 2wd vehicle) I think you should look at your owners manual. If its not all wheel drive or full time 4wd or what ever, there is no reason that you should put a vehicle in 4wd on paved surfaces.

7. cja1987

Well i slid twice while turning, so i figured what the hell 4h. I never do it with my F-150 in the rain its a part time system. Jeep is my brothers and STUPID me!!! If your familiar with jeeps you got command trac transfer case and selec trac t case which is the system that can be used for rain and such. Did i look at the label on the visor NO. just did it now at the suggestion of others. :redbounce assumed it was selec trac like my friends cherokee. Never had the "binding problem" before so iam too stupid to know what it is, should have assumed an error on my part before i paniced and assumed a problem. Jeep is fine now did not do any damage i hope :cry: You gotta rember that i tend to do these stupid things, just the way iam i guess :gunsfiring: better leave the 4X4 for snow and driving on the sand dunes.
    Nice to have all you guys to go to with any vehicle related problem, someone always knows. Now i laerned something. Thanks Guys!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  8. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Well, looking at your profile, your 17 and haven't had much experience driving. (no offense) If you have slid twice while turning, I'd say your either driving too fast for the current conditions or your tires have bad tread, maybe a little worn out? If its raining hard enough that you think you need 4wd on the side roads, why are you driving 60 on the main roads? And why would you make a sudden turn with a vehicle in 4wd? Have you ever driven a vehicle with 4wd? Reading your post again and again, it sounds to me like normal reaction from a vehicle being "misused". Gotta take it easy on the equipment dude. Also you say you use 4wd to "pull out into traffic quickly without spinning tires", again either you've got a lead foot or really bad tires. Thats really hard on a tranny if its not made as a full time or part time 4wd system. I'm not familiar with jeep stuff so I can't say. Not trying to b*tch at you. It's your stuff. But from the sounds of it, your using it the wrong way and are looking for premature failure and costly repairs for a 4wd system.

9. cja1987

No offense taken at all, seriousley thanks for the help.
    I have NO experience compared to all you guys but let me clear something up. Driving is something that i have figured out how to do i consider myself good at it. Of course i have driven a 4wd vehicle, i have been plowing for 2 seasons. Towed trailers many times as well. I know how to drive in all weather, put 60 K Miles on my F-150 since i got it, all on my own. No accidents, never even came close. I said i hardley ever drive the jeep. No lead foot sometimes you just have to enter a busy road quickly in rain and i always figured it might not hurt to use 4h for a FEW seconds. Never gave me a problem. Maybe i should stop this. No i don't beat my equipment routinely ive managed to make my F-150 ext cab last with a 750 Lb plow hanging off the front. Never more then very careful, religious matainance to the truck on my part. 37 driveways so i know how to drive for sure. Havent screwed that up yet (knock on wood). I usually plow in 4hi and when it gets real heavy 4 low. Its back in 4hi for unplowed or plowed but not plowed to pavement type surfaces. then 2wd for just wet pavement. I know enough not to run my truck down the highway in 4X4. Maybe its the tires on the jeep ill look at them in the daylight tommrrow. As i said its not mine so i don't pay much attention to what is going on with it. I got in this morning and figured it had the full time system and not the part time. Thats the only mistake i made aside from not knowing what the rocking was or what caused it. Driven in rain enough times to know how to do it i rarely accelerate hard in rain thats how you slide. 60 seemed safe on the highway otherwise i would not have done it, just figured 4wd may help a little and assumed it was a system that could be used full time as a result of not familarizing myself with the vehicle before i engaged 4wd. I Would have figured it out quick enough myself whenever i decided to look at the visor label that i was doing the wrong thing. As i said before, iam quick to assume a major problem with something before i think about it :rolleyes: and try and act on it rationally ie. reading the manuel.
    Really, its good to have you guys around, i appreciate your help in telling me the minor error of my ways. Certinately no offense taken in you questioning my experience with 4X4 and driving, what are you supposed to think "hes 17 and is a good driver who knows everything he needs to know" I don't know any adult who is inclined to think that about me without knowing me.

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

that doesnt have the full time mode my brother gran cherokee had that for rain and what not leave the pt 4 wheel drive for snow imo