1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4X4 or 6X6?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by jimaug87, Mar 28, 2008.

1. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

Why does everyone call a dually with all wheel drive a 4X4? 4X4 does not mean all wheel drive, it means 4 wheels and all get power. A "four wheel drive" dually doesn't get power to the front axle!

and why does chevy lable the (6X6) duallys with the 4X4 logo?

I don't get it.

if it has six wheels it can only be a 6X4 or 6X6
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Think of it as four "wheels" (or four axle points) vs four tires. With a 4x4, there are four points to potentially provide power from the axle to the road surface (regardless of how many contacts there are). The same with 6x6 - there are six ends to the axles with potential for all six to transfer power.

What you're referring to as 6x6 is actually only four ends of axles - all four potentially transfering power to the ground (through six tires).

How's that for an explanation?
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  3. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

...That's a pretty darn good explanation!
  4. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

Perfect. That answered my question, and now I can sleep soundly tongiht.

5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I have 6 wheels, two of which can't be driven independantly of the other two they are bolted to. I have a locker which drives all of my rear wheels, but my front diff is open. So at best I have 5 wheels driving. Or 3, depending on whether you count the duals as 1 or 2 each. If I were to replace my 4x4 decals, what should I get? I think 6x6 would look cool, but until I get a front locker, I can't. So I could maybe do 5x6, or 6x5. Or even 4x5, or should it be 5x4? Or how about 5x4of6? Hope I've been helpful;>
  6. Detroitdan

What about me? This is going to keep me awake all night!
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Some things are simply incomprehensible. I was going to say unsolvable, but usually that's only because someone has made then incomprehensible due to inconsequential, miniscule and/or distracting details. These problems become solvable when broken into loosely related components and tackled consequentially.

8. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

You made a very simple question difficult.

i know how differentials work. My truck has 2 open diffs (and it sucks! I need money for a locker), but it's still a 4x4. all four wheels have the POTENTIAL to be drive tires. That better?

if you were to get a decal, that I THOUGHT would be appropriate for your set-up (until Mick clarified it for me), you would still need a 6 in there. Even tho your front diff is open, "depending on the circumstances" either driver, passengfer, or both (yes both) tires can be driven by the engines power. If each wheel is on a surface of equal traction, boom, they both get it.

Mick answered my question so we can let this thread die a slow death as is crawls it's way to the later pages of this subforum.
  9. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Now . .

would someone GENTLY explain what a 6x6 actually refers to? :dizzy: (hey , how else can you keep old threads from just fading away?)
  10. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

6X6 = triaxle. 6 axle ends turning 6 hubs.
  11. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

And that is as gentle as it comes, case closed:sleeping:
  12. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

I think you should shoot for "Seven of Nine" "from Star Trek fame"

sign me up for wanting that.

image what a Borg can due for snow removal.

and they'd be mighty nice to look at as well, but just hope that don't assimilate you.

Snow storms Be ware,

Resistance if Futile

ok ok,,

sublime out.

May be way out there now.
  13. Detroitdan

Actually, a tri-axle commonly refers to a truck with one front axle, two standard rear axles (10 wheeler) and then an auxiliary "tag" axle, or in some cases an actual third rear axle. So, a tri-axle has four axles. The tri refers to the ones doing the heavy lifting. You don't count the steering axle when describing a truck chassis. So, it commercial truck terms, it goes 6 wheeler or single axle, 10 wheeler or tandem axle, then tri-axle. See, and you thought a single axle was a unicycle.
    A 6x6 is an AWD (think military) having one front steering axle with power, and two rear powered axles, with single wheels at each end. AM General made a lot of them for the gub'mint. Seen european ones, too. Flightline Crash/Rescue trucks are often 6x6. Old retired military guys would pronounce it "six-buh-six".
  14. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

ok ok . When I said 'triaxle' in my head I hear 3 axle. I associate tri with 3, not 4. I egt your point.
  15. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

so how many tires???

just had to post this....how many?:jester:

16. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Too flippin' many, that's how many.

I don't understand why somebody would call a 4-axle vehicle a tri-axle...seems oxy-moronish to me..

I mean, I understand not counting the steering axle, but still....
  17. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

actually on the big trucks we don't count individual tires, we count the hubs as if the truck has super singles.This is how everyone around here bills out their trucks.

2 axles =4 wheeler (single front tire dual tire rear)
    3 axles =6wheeler (single front tire dual tire rears)
    4 axles=quad or a super ten
    3 axle tractor + trailer= semi
  18. Detroitdan

If you're using the term "wheeler", then you are counting the wheels. So a 3 axle truck would be a ten wheeler, not a six wheeler. If it does in fact have super singles, then by all means call it a six wheeler, just be prepared for people to confuse it with a two axle truck. Nobody in my neck of the woods uses that terminology. Nobody uses super singles up here either. Or, if they try them they switch back.
  19. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

thats the differance between nh & the midwest we refer to hubs not tires when refering to our trucks.I am the trucking foreman here and when I bill it's either 6wheeler or semi as we dont use the 4 wheeler as a brokered truck.
  20. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

uh.....midwest?..........no we don't (notice my location)

but i am not a "trucking foreman" i just own the truck's and i'll be damed if i am gonna send a tri-axle western star (4 axle incl steer) to a job and get paid for a "6 wheeler" (single axle)