1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 on road?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MLLC, Dec 19, 2008.

1. MLLC

MLLC Member
    from MA

hey guys, simple question. It's snowing pretty bad out, there is like 6" on the highways. my question is, can i run 4wd HI on the road or will it hurt the drive train?
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I run my truck in 4hi when I go down a road with alot of snow on it.
  3. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

no problems running 4 wheel drive on the road just kick it back to 2 wd when the roads are dry
  4. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Running in 4x4 wont hurt unless your turning tight corners on drive pavement. The reason being is the front wheels travel in a different arc (more distance) than that of the rear tires, since there is no differential between the front and rear axles, this strains the drivelines.. Its a lot less of a strain in snow because the tires slip.. You know what i mean, you've turned sharp in 4x4 and felt the truck jump and jolt a little, this is the slippage going on. This is also why you have differentials between each tire on the same axle, to allow the outer tire to rotate further as it has to travel farther.. Keep in mind however there are ALL TIME four wheel drive vehicles that are used in the summer time as well, so all in all, will you break something? Probably not, you may wear tires a little more though, and maybe the weak links of the driveline.
  5. MLLC

MLLC Member
    from MA

ok thanks guys, we're supposed to get hit again tomorrow. i ran 4x4 on the side streets, but kept it in 2wd unless i was just spinning.
  6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

You will BREAK something !!!! Your transfer case is not made to take That strain very long .... Disengage it on dry or slightly wet roads ...Other Wise $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  7. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

If there is snow on the road you will have no problems since that is what 4X4 is primarily for these days. If the roads are dry you should be in 2W hi or lo depending on your needs. If the road is patchy where it has slush in some spots dry in others it is ok to be in 4W just hit some slush if you go through an extended period of dry road. I have a truck that requires me to get out and lock it in 4W so I just shift in and out of 4W from inside. To do this just let your foot off the gas, make the shift and put the hammer back down. Dirt roads you can run 4W and you can also use it on wet pavement if it gets slippery. At least these are the practices I use and I've been driving 4X4's for close to 30 years and never had a T-case go on me yet (knock on wood) I don't even have to replace the u joints anymore than every 5 yrs or so.
  8. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

You wont break anything unless your the jackass cranking the wheel to the stops on dry pavement in 4x4.. Like i said, there are all wheel drive vehicles that do not have an issue.. (some jeeps)..
  9. RichG53

They are built to be in 4x4 all the time....
  10. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

If 4X4 was going to break something then how do off raod drivers get around? Driving on snow is somewhat smiliar to driving off road. That is what the 4X4 is meant for.... Now if he were to drive in 4 Hi on dry pavement, then yes, it COULD break something, but that is only if he turns tight enough to make it bind.
  11. RichG53

We'r not talking off road we are talking DRY pavement...Don't drift off the subject...
  12. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Actually you drifted off subject first. He stated that it was snowing out and there were 6" of snow on the highways. No one said dry pavement. But hey, thats ok.
  13. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Our we seriously argueing the use or practicallity of 4wheel drive if its not nasty and you can get by out of 4 wheel drive turn it off. WHy waste the gas and extra rotating mass. If its unsafe to safe to be in 2 the turn it on. Will you break something no i dout it. Have you seen the inside of a transfer case? its a couple huge chains and sprockets. Nothing to advanced, If u break it you fix it the nature of the beast in this game.
  14. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

if it's a push button 4x4 there is a auto 4x4 feature....
  15. frozenokiewi

frozenokiewi Junior Member

Hrrmmm...bet the manufacturer would know.

yikes...ya post and get jumped on...if you want to know what you should do....here is a thought, crack open the owners manual. right there page 43 of my manual for my Silverado. These conditions warrant Auto-4WD (if equipped) these conditions warrant
    4WD and these conditions warrant 4Lo etc.

I'd think following the instructions from the people who took time to print them and put them in a book for the vehicle they designed, tested and then sold might me a fantastic idea. Wet slippery snow covered road use 4hi...yur good unless you have the auto option like I do. Auto only engages the front drive wheels via a clutch set in the transfer case if there is rear wheel spin. :)

I might add...as far as I know the Auto 4WD is only available on the half ton series of Ford and Chev trucks. I am pretty sure a 3/4 ton driveline would tear up that GM 846 auto transfer case in a hurry. I can only speculate thats why the feature is not something i have ever seen on a heavier truck.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  16. MLLC

MLLC Member
    from MA

i went and checked out my manual, it does state that when in snow the 4hi can be used up to something like 65MPH, but if i need 4x4, i don't think i'm going anywhere near that fast. my truck does not have the A4wd feature as it is a 2500HD series truck. my old 1500 sierra had that and it died on me in the middle of the year's biggest storm last year. the T case actually shattered, which was why i was wondering about the new truck.

thanks guys, my questions have been answered.