1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 not working

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by msprague78, Aug 21, 2004.

1. msprague78

msprague78 Junior Member

Hello everyone! this is my first time using this so lets see how it works. I just found out yesterday that my 92 chevy will not go into 4 wheel drive.:( I just replaced alot of stuff in my frontend about a month ago (all the ball joints, seals, passenger side cv shaft, sway bar linkages) I am wondering if when I pulled the passenger side shaft out of the housing to replace the seal if maybe by some chance I did something:confused: Everything went just fine but now I noticed that the drivers side plate where the cv shaft bolts up to is right up next to the housing and the passenger side has a little gap betwween the plate and the housing. Is that normal? Is it maybe not slide back in all the way? I think i did use my 4 wheel drive once since the repairs but I can't remember for sure. Can anyone help me?

2. msprague78

msprague78 Junior Member

3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

On the front pass side of the front diff there is an actuator that controls the 4wd. Make sure it didnt come unplugged...Rob

4. snoking

snoking Senior Member

ditto....but replace that actuator with an aftermarket style, oem one are junk and tend to go out right when you need them

5. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Be careful....if it's not the actuator you need to bring it to a mechanic in a hurry. I have more money in those junk front difs on that IFS setup then I'd like to admit. Those fancy washers and little spacer do dads in there go bad in a hurry. They dont stand for bad balljoints and a sloppy front end eithre. For some reason every truck I let the balljoints etc get bad right after I have it fixed the 4 wheel drive doesnt work. You might have just disconnected it, but I'd have it looked at right away, if the fancy parts that GM put in there arent where they're supposed to be you'll chew em up in a hurry and need bearings and the whole 9 yards...yoiu're looking at 800 easy...trust me I've been through it almost half a dozen times. That piece of junk just doesnt like warn parts moving everything around in there I guess. If they had Dana 60's theyd never go bad. But GM is too bussy designing trucks for people who don't rely on them to make a living.
    Casey