1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 not working?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by David Smith, Nov 5, 2003.

1. David Smith

David Smith Member

I just tried out my 4-wheel drive today.
    I put it in 4-wheel high, and had my plow hooked-up.
    I tried pushing a car frame/body across bare cement, and I spun the right rear tire....now should this be happening when in 4-wheel drive?

Also, in 4-wheel high, in reverse, I can spin the right rear tire just going over a 5" curb.

What gives?

Now, when I turn the tires they do that "thing" that 4x4's do when turning (wheel skip I guess you'd call it), which leads me to think that the 4-wheel drive is working, but I'm stumped why the right rear tire would spin so easily.....

New transfer case, new transmission, rebuilt 350
    84 Chevy 4x4 2500HD

2. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

open rear gears.. ?

3. David Smith

David Smith Member

What's that mean???

4. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

a non lock rear end... not posi traction, which would account for the single rear wheel spin,
    vrs both (locker)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2003
  5. David Smith

David Smith Member

posi traction....I have 4-wheel drive.
    I am thinking maybe the actuator, or vacuum lines?

6. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

if it's in 4wd and doing that skipping thing while turning.. the 4wd is working..

as far as the wheel spin is this when your in 4wd or 2wd ?

7. David Smith

David Smith Member

in 2 OR 4-wheel drive
    forward, OR reverse

8. rsimpson04

rsimpson04 Junior Member
    from CT

rear spin

Dave,

Does the right rear spin a lot, or just chirp?
    The rear is not posi.

If the right rear spins a lot and front does not hook up, start looking for the problem.

If the rear chirps and then the front hooks up, I would not be too concerned.

Recommend take out in dirt and give it a good hard throttle test.
    let me know results.

I am an electronic tech retired from Navy with a major mechanical background, so I have played with many toys over the years and do not plan on stopping, so hopefully I can be of some assist.

Rory

9. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

ohh.. do you happen to have a grassy flat area , and some one to watch the truck from outside as you try it out ?

this will definatly let you know if the 4wd is active..

10. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

Re: rear spin

this is where i was going..! lol

11. rsimpson04

rsimpson04 Junior Member
    from CT

Re: Re: rear spin

Hello Vector6,

Would that be West (By God) Virginia?...lol

I'm from Western NY originally but reside in N.E. CT due to Navy and decent follow on job still supporting our submarine fleet.

I've met and worked with many good people during my Navy tour from West VA. I have an Uncle somewhat near there over near Roanaoke on Smith Mountain Lake. I need to go see him.

Take care,

Rory

12. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: rear spin

yes... West (By God) Virginia..

and im former Navy as well, from the HM community .(Helmineron, Helicopter mine sweeping)

I was a hydraulics mechanic on MH53E's

good to meet ya Rory..:waving:

13. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You could have one front spinning and one rear spinning in a 4x4. You sure you wernt spinning a front tire also?

Manual or auto hubs?

14. David Smith

David Smith Member

auto hubs, only one tire spinning, and spinning fast (not chirping).
    I will try it on my gravel road with someone watching to see what happens.....

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

If the transfer case is properly engaged,and sending power down the front driveshaft,then it sounds like you have a bad hub.Without a posi in the front,one bad hub will cause a no drive condition from the front wheels.

Junk the suto hubs and get a set of Warn premium hubs.

16. David Smith

David Smith Member

So I should replace the auto hubs with manual hubs then?
    Doesn't sound like something that I want to do....

17. wyldman

wyldman Member

The auto hubs are garbage and unreliable,as you just found out.The Warn premium hubs are much stronger,and virtually trouble free.When you lock them,they are locked. :D

18. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

all it would take is one bad hub, right? in a open diff it would act like that tire has no traction, spin the easiest rear and the easiest (broken) front.

Don't the hubs usually make some clicking/grinding as they fail/slip? I'd go manual if I were you... and if the autos on my 'duty ever fail, I will.

19. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yes,all it takes is one bad hub,as all (most) front diffs are open,so the broken hub just spins,and no power is applied to the other side.

The hubs will sometimes make noise if they have come apart inside.When they stick or sieze,they will make no noise at all.

20. David Smith

David Smith Member

how difficult would it be to change from auto to manual hubs? and is this a one person (me) type of job?