1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4x4 noise

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by RayGauthier, Jan 7, 2006.

1. RayGauthier

RayGauthier Member

I have a noise from my front end when I pull it out of 4x4.
    When I am driving away from a driveway after plowing and I take it out of 4x4 after about 100 ft or so I can hear a "Small" noise from the 4x4 and a little tug like jump what do you guy think ????????
  2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

u joints probably mine on my 03 was just in YESTERDAY for the same thing but now theres more problems but thats another story
  3. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Yup, check the u-joints or tranny:gunsfiring:
  4. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

It's a common noise for the CAD system, especially when it's cold out. When you take it out of 4wd, the transfer case cuts out the front shaft, and the dog clutch slides the locking collar off of the interemdiate shaft. Mine makes noises while doing this once and a while...usually accompanied by a large thud. Only at speed though. If I take it out going slowly, or backing up, it never does it. And just for the record, I replaced both U-joints this summer. If your u-joints are going, you would notice a noise ALL the time, as they are constantly spinning (at least in the 2nd generation Rams).

It's not tranny related either. The transmission has nothing to do with putting the truck into/taking it out of 4wd.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  5. RayGauthier

RayGauthier Member

I was hoping that it was nothing much!!!
    My drive shaft front 4x4 sounds like there's a bird getting killed :gunsfiring: looked at it and there's no way of putting grease to it.
    Any idea's ?
  6. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

I see...could you describe the noise? A bird getting killed doesn't help me much...:cool:

I have a copy of the 01 service manual on my website that you might want to download and look at. It's a large download, but it's worth it. For the most part, it's useful for any 2nd gen owner (94-01). A lot of the info (motor, axles, transfer cases, transmissions) applies to the whole range of years.

7. RayGauthier

RayGauthier Member

Thank it's really what I needed